Primary SG at 0.992 ... is fermentation complete?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryNC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first batch of wine. Peach wine from fruit and beginning SG was 1.100. Full details about the batch in this thread:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50605

I transferred to secondary with air locks yesterday when SG was at 0.992. I think I should have caught it above 1.000 to transfer but it happened quicker than I expected.

I'm not seeing any bubbles today and only saw a couple yesterday after the transfer. So, should I go ahead and rack it off the lees or let it set for a few more days?

It tastes pretty nice and has a definite kick so I don't want to spoil it with the rotting corpses of dead yeast.

Yes, I would say fermentation is essentially complete. I would leave it at least a couple of weeks topped up under airlock to finish any last traces and let the bulk yeast sediments settle out. A little longer is just fine. Rack it in 2-4 weeks into a clean carboy and add K-meta (campden) at that time.

Are you planning to sweeten this? I would let it age dry with no k-sorbate stabilizer added yet. I would rack and sweeten it up to your desired level and add sorbate a few weeks before you plan to bottle. No problem being patient and letting it clarify slowly and naturally over time. I would rack ever 2-3 months and add k-meta every other racking. Bottle in 6-8 months if it's crystal clear.

I've got two gallons in two, one-gallon jugs. Original intent was for both to be dry but I'm thinking that I may want to back sweeten one just to try the taste and to give me a little variety in the final result.

When I transferred from the primary I brought over all the lees into the secondary, rather than leaving in the primary so now there's some layering on the bottom of the secondaries.

Since it appears that fermentation is mostly done, I'm thinking I should have racked it off the lees in the primary. I'm not sure how long the must can set on the dead yeast without negative affect.

But it sounds like you're saying it can set on it for another couple of weeks before racking it.

You are all right. Give it some time to let the lees compact some and it will be easier to rack off of them. On your sweetening, let it sit and clear. When it is nice and clear you can draw a glass. Now you can taste it dry, see how you like it. Next add a little sugar and give it a taste. Add some more and see if it is better or worse. Will give you an idea whether you want to sweeten or not. Arne.

Just read thru your other post again. If It still doesn't have much flavor, a little sweetening can bring the flavor out some. Time probably will bring it out a bit also. Arne.

Last edited:
I've got two gallons in two, one-gallon jugs. Original intent was for both to be dry but I'm thinking that I may want to back sweeten one just to try the taste and to give me a little variety in the final result.

This is exactly how I usually do things when making a two gallon batch. I have them in two, one gallon carboys after fermenting in a bucket. I can tweak each carboy differently so I know what I will like and how some new tweak may turn out.

I disagree..remove form the gross lees now. dead yeast and other residue will impart a bad taste to the wine at worst it will rotten egg. rack now and again in three weeks to remove from fine sediment. add K-Meta each time.

Thanks for the input folks. As always there are slight differences of opinion so I'm going to go with what I think is the gist of all that's been offered.

It looks like there's no real downside to racking off the lees (as long as I do it with least amount of exposure to oxygen as I can) but there is a potential downside to leaving on the lees and having the must tainted by dead yeast.

So final decision is that I will go ahead and rack off the lees, add some kmeta and then wait for two or three weeks to allow additional suspensions to settle out before racking again.

Sorbate does not kill yeast. It prevents yeast from multiplying. Thus, you want your wine to be as clear as possible before sweetening. You can add the sorbate at the same time you sweeten it. No need to add it sooner. If you add it while there is still a lot of yeast in it, the sorbate will be taken up by all that yeast and it may be less effective later.

Back