Primary for fruit wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandst

Reaction score
What size primary do ya'll use for your 1 gallon batches of fruit wines. I'm looking to start a raspberry or maybe a blueberry next but only want to do 1 gallon initially. I found apple juice in 1 gallon glass bottles for the secondary and I got a bucket from work that was used to hold donut glaze that looks to be about 2.5 gallons. Would this bucket work fora 1 gallon batch or should I get a larger bucket? The girls in the bakery will hold me buckets if I want them, just have to make sure I have the right size.

Steve

I know, I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say it. Size doesn't matter.
smiley36.gif
You want to have enough room in your primary fermenter to contain vigorous fermentation. I know that several of us have suffered the consequences and had to clean up when we got over flow during that stage. So during primary fermentation, bigger is better than too small. I think we've even made some 1-gallon batches started in the larger primary. Good luck!

That's kinda what I was thinking. Can get a 4-5 gallon bucket from them to use as primary, which would also help contain the straining bag easier. I can always us the small one to hold a sulfite solution for sanitation, easier than gallon water jugs.

Steve

I thought a 2.5 gallong bucket from a bakery sounds perfect. Less room and easier to move around. If you are doing a 1 gallon batch, I don't see a problem with using a smaller bucket. But if you don't have one, then use the bigger one. Just a matter of personal preference I would think.
smiley14.gif

The 2.5 Gallon bucket will work just fine for your gallon batches Brandst

Brandst,

I've been using a 2.5 gallon bucket for over a year now on my 1 gallon batches, and have never had an overflow. Different yeasts will product varying amounts of foam. Red Star Montrechet is by far the most active "foamer" I've encountered and the bucket held it fine.

I don't have a lid for mine, so I take a clean kitchen towel and hold it in place with a stong rubber band. Works like a champ.

Checked the bucket that I picked up and it is actually only 2 gallons, with the must and a strainer bag full of fruit I'd like to have a bit more headroom. I'll check with them tomorrow to find a larger bucket hopefullyabout 3 gallon. I'll use the 2 gallon to mix up sulfite solution and dipping/soaking items for sanitation.

Steve.

Just be sure those buckets are soundly, completely and thoroughly clean! We'd hate to have a chocolate jimmy show up in your must!
smiley36.gif

Brandst,

Like PolishWineP stated, ensure your buckets are clean. Look for deep gouges from knives, sharp spoons, etc. Bakeries are not very careful when cleaning out the contents of these "throw away" buckets. These crevices make wonderful home for bacteria, and are very hard to get sanitizer into to kill them off. You are fortunate to have folks willing to hold them for you. I've called every place I can find in the local area and none will give them up, not even for minimal charge!

I have three buckets I use most of the time, a 7.5 gallon, a 5 gallon, and a 2.5 gallon. When I'm making a large batch the smaller buckets become the sanitizing buckets and vice versa. I'm a little cramped for space and have to utilize all my resources.

Brandst,

Forgot to mention, hold onto the 2 gallon. If you are making a 1 gallon batch from juice without thefruit, the 2 gallon will be adequate.

Ok, they saved me a 4 gallon bucket that I can use and never worry about with small 1 or 2 gallon batches. I work at the store the bakery is in, probably why they'll hold it for me. They don't use any metal implements on these buckets and I make sure to check for any kind of gouge or scratch while I clean them. They get cleaned when I get them home then I will clean and sanitize before I use as well. I am using the 2 gallon bucket to store my sulfite solution right now, easy to dunk the smaller pieces in there and can dump or siphon from there to my primary or secondary then back to it. I'll see how they go and let ya'll know, I should be starting a red raspberry next week.

Steve

The 4 gallon bucket will certainly work for the gallon batches of fruit wine, but for raspberry and that type of fruit so will the 2 gallon bucket. My gallon primary fermenter that I bought as part of a gallon kit holds 1.5 gallons and has never boiled over during ferment even with fruit in it. I have made batches of raspberry, raspberry strawberry and most recently blueberry(which I racked again today-yummmy
smiley4.gif
). Most sanitary type buckets will work for fermentation. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME- but I have even made a batch of apple cider wine in a 5 gallon joint compound bucket. It worked fine, after cleaning thoroughly of course. My three primary buckets were full at the time I wanted to start another batch- so I figured I would give it a try.

Good luck with your wine making and may the wine fairy bless you with a terrific batch!

smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

Steve

Go ahead and use the bigger bucket, it may make stirring and other things easier....good luck

Joint compound bucket.

Makes a whole new meaning for the phrase "getting Plastered"

Sorry... english humour.
Edited by: peterCooper

Well,I enjoy most British humour. Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Black Adder, The Young Ones, and many more all have a place in my home. And I'm sober when I watch them, guess I was just born on the wrong continent.
smiley36.gif

Steve

Back