Primary Fermenting bucket covering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
Does anyone know what a Bakers dough couche is? It is a heavy duty linen cloth that is somewhat dense. Hard to blow air though it. Seems it may be a good cloth to cover the primary for the first week. What do you think? Or should I just lay the lid on?

A72E0127-2FD9-4E33-8240-C638C0E97DD3.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what a Bakers dough couche is? It is a heavy duty linen cloth that is somewhat dense. Hard to blow air though it. Seems it may be a good cloth to cover the primary for the first week. What do you think? Or should I just lay the lid on?

I just lay the lid on. Many folks use a cloth of some dirty, the one you reference will probably work just fine.

I use Osnaburg fabric, a very light weave. I lay it on top of my bucket then put the lid on loosely.

The tighter weaves, in my experience, don’t keep out the fruit flies.

My wife postulates that the tiny “hairs” of cotton from the loose weave keep the fruit flies out.

The only fruit flies I have to deal with are the ones hanging around my wine room door. Once they get into the room they’ll usually die off in a day or two from lack of food and water (wine and must).

I use a floursack type cloth, and have found it works well, but then I have never seen a fruit fly around my must.............................Dizzy

I generally use a course cheese cloth to allow a lot of airflow. To combat those pesky fruit flies, I use those fruit fly traps (look like little apples) from Lowe's. They work like a charm!

Latest posts

Back