Primary Fermenters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcteague

Reaction score
I've been looking around for supplies to start my first attempt at a wine and am confused about the impact of using different types of primary fermenters. I've seen references that glass works but the smaller opening of carboys makes it hard to clean and might impede oxygen flow in the early stages of fermentation. Food grade plastic buckets seem the most popular, but some seem to think they contribute to flavor in less than ideal ways. I've not seen much about stainless - why? It seems that the primary fermentation doesn't require an air-tight seal, stainless doesn't wouldn't impact flavor, and various sizes can be had at reasonable prices, scrapes from cleaning won't capture bacteria, and they're a bit more durable.

So my main question is - why not take a large, cheap stainless cooking pot and convert into a primary, and rack to glass after a couple days? I would think just leaving the pot lid on would seal things about the same as a loose plastic lid no?

One note on my thinking - I'm brewing in 3 gallon carboys, which makes the stainless requirement a bit easier to find than a 6 gallon pot.

Not sure large and cheap stainless can be found. A 5 gallon food grade plastic fermenter can be had for about $5, it's light, easy to clean, and I don't think imparts any unpleasant taste.

Nothing wrong with stainless, I just don't think I need it.

I use either the the food grade plastic fermenter or a carboy for juice only ferments without any cleaning issues as long as cleaning is done after transfer. The food grade bucket is good for fermenting with fruits/vegetables and cleans pretty easy. I have never noticed any off tastes from it.

You're definitely not going to find one for $5, but for $30, sure. I remember going through a number of plastic primaries when I did a lot of beer brewing due to periodic scratches forming from various instruments. I always let my beers ferment much longer in the primary though so the seal became more important than with wine. If I use a stainless pot, I'd probably rack to the secondary after 2-3 days and seal it, so the fact that it doesn't have a sealing top is less an issue.

dcteague....

Small opening vessels like carboys make poor fermenters, for various reasons. Eg cleaning, as you mentioned, and getting the fruit in in the first place (if making fruit wines).

Personally I have been using plastic pails that were made for wine making as primary fermenters since I started making wine in 1999.

One important point is the amount of wine that you are typically going to make. IMO, you want a lot of headspace in the primary . I use 11 USG primaries for 6 USG batches (standard wine kits). This provides lots of room for vigourous stirring (desirable prior to pitching the yeast), vigourous fermentation (think serious foaming), and lots of room for fruit.

Steve

I was planning to make my first dive into wine in small batches since I have several 3 gallon glass carboys from my beer making days. I figured a 20 quart stock pot would make a good primary if most of my initial batches would not be made with fruit but rather concentrates and juices. This gives me a 2 gallon buffer for fermentation and since I'm mainly interested in ports, the primary would be short and fermentation stopped when I transfer to my carboys since I'll be fortifying during the transfer process.

So I was out this afternoon doing my weekend Lowe's visit, and while there figured I'd take a look at their buckets - sure enough, they're HPDE - #2 which are food grade, for $2.70. They have them in white, partially clear, and blue. If food grade buckets are HPDE, why not one of these? For a 3 gallon target volume in my secondary, a 5 gallon should be fine for primary, no?

You can also get them for free at any pastry shop/grocery store - they go through tons of them and usually turf or recycle them.

Low's pails work. I use them for 1-3 gal batches. I have had no problems with them. I don't think the blue one is pba free however. Only the white one is labled as such. That is why it cost the extra doller.

Latest posts

Back