Primary fermenter question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I have made a bunch of wines using kits and have always used a bucket with the lid with an airlock. I've read many fruit wine recipes and they say to just cover the top with a clean cloth and secure it. Is it okay to use the lid and an airlock with fruit wines?

I love to see the airlock bubble! Truth be told, I like to put my ear on the primary and my hands on the sides and listen and feel the yeast working!

Do you think I'm hooked?
smiley36.gif

Yep I would say you are hooked Joan, welcome to the best learning place on the net. There is lots of nice folks on here to assist you in your wine making problems. I have had quite a few questions and every one was most helpful. So happy wine making.

Harry

Joan,
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">If you have the lid and airlock USE THEM. This is all I have used over the years on many types of wine. I like the added. security of having a sealed container.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Welcome Joan. I have heard the same about leaving just a cloth on top
but just dont want to chance it. I too only use the cover and airlock
and havent had a problem yet. I do open it up every other day for the
first week to adjust acid and to press down on the fruit in the
bags.(OK just to look at whats going on.LOL) These are the best people
and they can answer any question you can throw at them in a very reasonable amount of time. Good luck. Wade

Thank you, Harry and Wade! I appreciate the welcome and the info! I've already learned a lot reading old posts. There is much wine wisdome bottled here! =)

Joan, like everything else there are two sides to the story. When I first started making wine, I found a web page that said to cover it with a cloth, and I have always done this, and other than kits I have only made fruit wines (not many grapes here)...

I really love to put my head down so I can hear the fermentation and smell the aroma.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....
smiley2.gif

So far I have never had a problem with covering the primary with a cloth

Either can be used effectively. The only drawback to using the lid when making wines from fruit you need to punch down the strainer bag twice a day so that is a lot of "on" "off" with the lid. I have always used a cloth and have never had a problem. The main thing is doing whatever you are most comfortable with

Latest posts

Back