Primary Fermentation, lid on or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbnmiky

Reaction score
Hi..im a beginner in wine making....just got my first basic simple kit.

Im making wine from grapes, and using HARVEST BV7 yeast.

Just a quick question....primary fermentation in the bucket.

Shall i cover with a lid, or not?

Whats the difference/risks?

Cheers..and Thanks :):fsh

In primary yeast needs lots of oxygen, and also to allow large amounts of CO2 to escape. When fermentation slows then its racked to a secondary and air locked to keep bacteria out while it finishes.

In primary yeast needs lots of oxygen, and also to allow large amounts of CO2 to escape. When fermentation slows then its racked to a secondary and air locked to keep bacteria out while it finishes.

So...If needs lots of oxygen ...why they say in beginner kits to keep bucket closed with a lid?

The cover lid is to keep the bugs and airborne yeasts out. Either way is ok but you need to oxygenate your juice before you pitchthe yeast. The well oxygenated wart enables the yeast to multiply and populate the juice. This is called the aerobic stage. CO2 is heavier than air and lays on top of the juice and will protect the juice a bit; but a cover of some sort is smart. Wait about 3 days then transfer to a carboy under lock. Stir the juice a couple of times each day.
Some folks like to rack off the lees. My method is to stir it well and transfer all the yeast to the carboy. Later rack off the lees. OOPS GETTING TOO WINDY. SORRY

Latest posts

Back