WineXpert Primary Fermentation for Crushendo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Junior
Reaction score
Both the instructions as well as George's note regarding making a crusheno kit caution to not use the standard 7.5 gallon fermentation bucket. I would prefer to not buy a new primary fermenter. I have a 2 gallon bucket I have been using for one gallon batches.

Do you think it would be okay to put 5 gallons in the larger bucket and one gallon in the smaller bucket - putting an appropriate amount of the grape packet and yeast in each bucket - and then rack from both buckets to a single carboy upon completion of primary fermentation?

Thanks, Pete

Pete,

The standard sized fermentation primaries in the industry today are 6.5 (US gals) and 7.9 (US gals). The larger 7.9 gal primary is perfectly fine for making a Crushendo kit.

It would probably work but you will risk consistency with the wine. I think it would be pretty tough to get the proper level of ingredients separated and personally would advise against it. I might try this with a Selection kitbut I doubt I would with the Crushendo.

I myself would go to a Dollar Store and get a kitchen trash can and use it for a primary. Mix up your juice and Bentonite in your regular primary and pour into the sanitized trash can, then addthe grape pack and cover it with a couple layers of fine mesh cheese cloth or t-shirt to keep any critters out. You can hold the cloth in place with a large rubber band or some string.Just make sure you transfer to glass at the appropriate time and you can toss the trash can when you are done if you wish.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

masta said:
Pete,

The standard sized fermentation primaries in the industry today are 6.5 (US gals) and 7.9 (US gals). The larger 7.9 gal primary is perfectly fine for making a Crushendo kit.

Masta, I know you have made a few. So you used your standard primary? I have heard you can but it is s tight fit. I have one sitting here waiting to be made. I was going to get a trash can like I told Pete about but if it will fit in my standard primary, I will just use it.

Pete, after I posted I noticed you are in Afghanistan? I doubt you have a Dollar Store on every corner there so I dunno what to tell you. I just wouldn't split the Crushendo up personally.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Yes I have made a Crushendo and other kits with grape skins in a 7.9 gal primary and you are correct it is a tight fit but certainly can be done without having to purchase a bigger primary.

BTW: More tips and a tutorial with pictures for making a Crushendo kit without all the issues many have endured is coming soon!
smiley2.gif

Pete,

I've made a Crushendo kit also in the standard pail. It is a tight fit like Masta said. There is only about 2-3 inches from the top. I did snap the lid on this batch to help prevent boil over and some foam did touch the lid-barely. The biggest problem I had was stirring in the added skins each day for a few days, but it is in the secondary and on it's way to a great wine.

Thanks for your feedback - I am going to use the standard pail. I need to update my profile - I have no idea why it shows I live in Afghanistan - I live in Marietta, GA - just outside of Atlanta.

Pete

I have made 4 crushendo's in the 7.9 pail with no problems. I also do not snap the lid down. Too much hassle to take it off.

With Smurfe's trash can idea, everything I've ever read says that is a
bad idea. You always need to ensure that you use food grade plastic.
The average Walmart variety trash can isn't and the pores in them are
much larger than PET plastic and can cause off flavors, ect.

Pete

I agree with Pete, all food grade is not alike. When using plastic, look at the recycle triangle, usually found on the bottom of a bucket. It needs to be either a 1 or 2 to be usuable for wine making; otherwise, the acids in the wine can leach out the plastic and that is not good for your wine.

Sorry if everyone thinks I am giving bad advice. I am just going by the dozens of winemakers that usetrash cans for their wine making.I have seen it in numerous tutorials, websites, magazine articles and the such.

Dunno, was just an idea. No different than those that oppose using bleach to sanitize or using Spring water bottles for carboys. Most will advise against it but I have yet to read an article from anyone that has used these and have came to regret it as their wine was spoiled due to thecomposition of the container.

On a side note. I have a 10 gallon fermenterthat has the exact same symbol on it as my kitchen trash can (which I bought at Dollar General for $5.99, the fermenter cost $20.99from a home brew shopand is smaller). There is no triangle but rather a circle with the numbers 4,5,6,7 in the circle. It is the same fermenter you see in all of the catalogs. Looks kinda like a trash can with a snap on lid.No wire handle but rather handles like a trash can on it.

Once again, sorry I have given advise that goes against the grain. I will refrain from suggesting anything that isn't a widely accepted practice in the future.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe isn't giving bad advice. There are trashcans available with the proper recycle number stamped on the bottom. I think one is the Roughneck by Rubbermaid. It should work, but there sure is a lot more surface to clean and sanitize!

does any body remeber zaire dept stores. I got my first trash can primary from there in 68. It finaly disingrated after 30 years. not all 30 years where making wine alas it became a trash can. But I have True brews now. And I like the Lid opener for the true brews keeps my knuckes from getting torn up.

Back