Primary ferment question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1wino

Aspiring winemaker
Reaction score
I am new to wine making and currently have a batch of blueberry underway. My question is I have often heard that I should have a lot of bubbles in my primary, I have obvious bubbling my s.g. Is dropping but the bubbling isn't what some would say Voracious bubbling is this normal? Or should I add yeast? My current thought is as long as s.g is dropping just keep going. Any thoughts?

Welcome aboard!!!

As long as your SG is dropping you are fine. Depending on the temp - the bubbling can be more vigorous.

Each yeast type has different fermenting qualities. Temps can also play a big role as can different fruit. Blueberry in itself naturally contains benzoate which is a known fermentation hindrance. You dont wan all fruit wines to ferment vigorously. In fact most you want to ferment nice and gentle to keep the fruity esters in the wine in stead of burning them off. Some wines I like to cool ferment to keep a fermentation nice and slow for this reason. What yeast did you use any way? Welcome to our site, sit down, pull up a glass check it out and ask around!

Thanks! My temp has been a little lower than I would prefer but I think it's going ok

I used Lalvin k1-v1116 from my research it seems to be a pretty hearty yeast. My temps have hovered around the upper 60's to 70 I think this yeast would prefer a little warmer but right now I guess it is what is. Thanks for the help

That temp should be ok for now bu right near the very end like 1.010 you might want to start getting the temp up to help it finish fermenting so it doesnt get stuck. You also need the tem\ps up to get it degassed so it will clear properly. Wine wont degas well with temps too much under 75*.

Latest posts

Back