Preventing Water Damage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Temperance League President Emeritus
Reaction score
In the last year we have had 2 separate incidents of water damage to our home. The first resulted from a leaky valve under our kitchen sink which caused extensive damage to a wall, door and door frame in the finished basement.

The second resulted from 2 separate sources. It was partly caused by our washing machine leaking from the bottom and partly from a loose pipe joint under the subfloor (in the powder room on the other side of same wall as the washing machine) that was covered by a layer of linoleum and another layer of grouted vinyl tile. Since the sources were hidden, we didn't know anything was wrong until the subfloor began to sag around the joists. There was extensive mold growth and the subfloor in our laundry room and powder room has to be replaced.

Here is my question. How do we stay on top of water leaks that aren't visible and easily detected? I thought about getting a moisture meter and checking floors and walls near all known pipes and sinks. This is problematic because pipes are behind walls and under subfloors and I don't know every place to look.

My wife and I are at our wit's end. We seriously considered turning off our water main and relying on outside water sources until we realized how ridiculous that would be.

Can anyone offer a suggestion that would help us detect water leaks before they become a major problem?

Google water detector alarms - there are many types from battery alarms to ones that will actually shut off your main water supply with sensors.

Google water detector alarms - there are many types from battery alarms to ones that will actually shut off your main water supply with sensors.

I've never heard of these. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Without any water running, all faucets closed and toilet tank filled, look at your water meter and see if it is still turning. Make sure the ice maker is full too. If you have leaks it would still be spinning which would indicate water going somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you have overhead water, suspended ceilings are the way to go. When not if you have a water leak, easy to get at and repair, couple of new panels and you are back in business. Arne.

Wow. Lots of great suggestions here. Me, my floors, ceilings and walls thank you all.

It's been nearly 3 weeks and we still don't have a floor, or wall in our laundry room and powder room. The stress is really getting to me. I hope my contractor kicks it into high gear soon. To be fair, it's not his fault. It took nearly two weeks to mitigate the mold growth.

Back