Preparing young vine for winter.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcopolo

Junior
Reaction score
My Black Hamburg vine has done very nicely on it's second year in the ground (Was 3 years old on purchase) roots planted outside the greenhouse but coming into the greenhouse at the bottom. It's now got a nice 'W' permanent cordon shape and I didn't let it crop.
Most of the wood is ripe and brown but I'll crop back 1/4 to 1/3rd anyway.

So I live 55degN (Edinburgh) and expect minimums lows of -8degC to -5degC in the greenhouse. I can close the vents at night time to try gain a few deg C, but the book does say to open vents over winter.

What should I do with the vine? Will it be OK at these temps? Should I wrap some fleece round it Jan/Feb to protect the buds?

Also my book mentions untying the vine and laying on the ground so the buds get the sap in spring evenly - is this worthwhile given i'll only be taking 3-5 buches maximum off it next summer in year 3 so will only be letting a few of the fruiting laterals grow anyway?

many thanks,

Marco

Last edited:
Since the vines are dormant, keep it that way. -5C is no problem. You do not want day temperature to be very high. So leave the vent open.

Latest posts

Back