Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it just here or are treated wood posts getting expensive everywhere?

I'm looking at 4" x 10' for my middle posts and 6" x 10' for my end posts. Shopping around my local lumbar yards it seems the 4" posts are almost $14 each and the 6" posts are closer to $24 !!

Any suggestions on discount post suppliers? I'm wondering if I could find them less even with some freight charges.

Retail lumber prices are absolutely NUTS! Even though wholesale lumber prices have tanked in the last few months, retail prices are still sky high. Definitely some funny stuff going on with these prices. You'd think there was a shortage of tree's or something....ridiculous !

When I was looking for posts I found a small mom& pop mill that treats their own lumber ( Ellijay, Ga.) they supply all the local farmers/ranchers. Their posts were almost 1/2 price of the big box stores & treated a little more. Maybe worth checking out in your area. Roy

Actually I'm thinking about going with T-posts in the rows. Pros: - 1/4 the price of wood posts. I can pound them in myself without need for special equipment (and save on a gym membership), and they are easy to replace.

Cons? ? ? I do want to try some vines using Grapeman's modified GDC. How do I attach an angle bracket to the T-post?

Weld it if you have a welder or know someone that does. the only thing I could see happening with using t-posts is that if you have much wind they could loosen in the wind as the vines sway back and forth

Bob

Last edited:
Got a Tractor Supply Store around? Get them there.

4" x 8' fence posts are $8.29 each

Any farm supply should have them, too.

Also, ask ranchers and ag extension folks out your way what they use. Whatever wood they put in the ground for a 20-year field fence will work for you, and you then avoid the uptake of the preservatives from your posts. Here, osage orange, cedar and locust are used. Find out what works in ND.

Last edited:
Thanks. I need 10 foot posts here due to the frost depth. They need to be 4 feet in the ground.

You could use heavier wood posts for the ends and T-posts for the line posts. Any way you go it isn't cheap. I opted for natural white cedar posts for the last 2 vineyards I put in. Those cost me $3 each for 9 and 10 foot posts and we cut 500 ourselves for a buck apiece last winter. Vineyards are expensive!

Greg - have you check here in MT? You may be able to find someone traveling to the Baken fields that may be willing to work something out with you. I just paid 4.75 for treated 4" x 8' posts last week, can't speak to the price of 10 ft posts though.

Latest posts

Back