Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the label material I was using. I was going to let Avery print them for me but they get way to much money and I can’t get the quaintly that I want. 30 labels is all it need.

WePrint Surface Safe Sign Labels, 3-1/2" x 5" White Film with Surface Safe Adhesive​

This is the label material I was using. I was going to let Avery print them for me but they get way to much money and I can’t get the quaintly that I want. 30 labels is all it need.

WePrint Surface Safe Sign Labels, 3-1/2" x 5" White Film with Surface Safe Adhesive​

I was using that material, but the price doubled in a year's time. I switched to a different label from LabelsOnline.com, white gloss for laser (OL150WS, 4"x3.33"). The new ones don't peel off the way the Avery does, but they cost 40% of the price of Avery, and do come off with 5 minute's soak in hot water.

I was printing at Staples before I purchased the printer, Brother MFC-L3750CDW.

This replaced an 11 yo inkjet that I was burning through more ink keeping the head clean than I was printing.

I’d sure like to have a printer like that but with the little printing I do I can’t justify the cost. I am going to try @vinny solution with the spray. I order a can today. I am looking at the labels from labelsOnline though.

I put capsules & labels on the Merlot/Grenache today, and noticed that my son's sword logo looks better on the label than it does on screen. On screen the border looks grainy, but on the printed label, up close, it looks great.

merlot-grenache.jpg

That job finished quickly and I wanted to hang around the winery longer, so I decided to bottle another batch.

I had 4 liters of "Frankenwine" in a jug -- it's the leftovers after filling all secondary containers last fall. I think it's mostly Merlot/Grenache but from the color it's got some of the Rhone Blend in it -- that's Mourvedre, Petite Sirah, and Syrah, and it has serious color.

This is definitely "leftover" wine. It's plonk -- it has no significant faults, but neither is it impressive. I've got 5 bottles and it will find its use. Label? I re-used a joke label from 2020, changing the text and font colors.

2022 Frankenwine - single label.png

I miss Fred Gwynne. Others have tried to portray Herman Munster, but all pale in comparison.

My elder son and I bottled a Merlot/Tempranillo, which is a FWK Tavola Merlot fermented with the pomace from 8 lugs of Tempranillo. It's been aging since November in a 23 liter carboy and a 4 liter jug.

We racked the carboy first, tasting a sample. It's unfortunately acidic. Not horribly so, but noticeable.

So we added 8 oz glycerin to the wine -- my normal max is 1 oz/gallon, and we'll have 7 US gallons, but I figured this might mellow the acid. Happily, it made a large difference. The wine is still a bit acidic, but it's pretty good. We consider it a success.

Then we racked the 4 liter jug into a smaller bucket -- I always rack each secondary into different buckets -- had one container go bad years ago, and I'm very happy it didn't get mixed in with the good wine. My son tastes it and makes a face.

"Did it go bad?"

"Taste it."

I mislabeled the jug -- it's a Merlot/Grenache (same idea as the Merlot/Tempranillo) which I bottled 3 weeks ago. On the plus side, we really like this one.

We made the executive decision to pour it into the main container, blending with the Merlot/Tempranillo. If anything, it mellowed the acid a bit more.

We print 2 labels for collaborative batches, one with his logo and one with mine. This time we differed on graphics choices, so the labels are very different:

merlot-tempranillo.jpg

He didn't care as much for the dancer when looking at it on screen, but really likes it on the bottle. I have a couple of wines where I liked the label on screen, but it's not as catchy on the bottle.

In the future I'm going to print a sample on paper and tape it to a bottle -- before printing.

These two labels look fine either way.

2022-merlot-tempranillo-bryan-tinified.png

2022-merlot-tempranillo-eric-tinified.png

Latest posts

Back