Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been a LONG time since I have posted or commented here but I’ve been lurking the entire time. Since last post , moved to Salt Lake City, Utah late 2019 and retired. Now have dream job as ski instructor at Alta, Utah. New house = new winery name.

Attachments

• 20230301_104439.jpg
    20230301_104439.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230301_104455.jpg
    20230301_104455.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I was messing around with the gold labels on the last bottle on the right. They are a nightmare. The paper peels and the glue gets stuck to everything. Cool or not. They are out.

PXL_20230620_212640746.jpg

This is the final look.

PXL_20230620_213522771.jpg
I am Printing on an Epson 8500 ink photo printer. A wise man in here (I don't remember who) told me he uses the wife's hair spray to seal the ink from smearing.. I figured what the heck.. I gave these all a top coat of clear lacquer. 😆

Its been a LONG time since I have posted or commented here but I’ve been lurking the entire time. Since last post , moved to Salt Lake City, Utah late 2019 and retired. Now have dream job as ski instructor at Alta, Utah. New house = new winery name.
If we can solve our hwy 210 problem life would be grand...

I've been growing grapes (Malbec, Tannat, Tempranillo and Baco Noir) probably not to far from you since about 2016. They are doing shockingly well. The Malbecs and Tannats are especially healthy.

Try it! Then you can add "estate grown" to the label ; )

Cool idea. Using vinyl to etch the glass and removing the label so the frosted or smooth area is your label might look neat, too

Actually did that but the label etching creme doesn't show up very well so we sandblasted those etched bottles last week and it created a frosted look. Vinyl labels show up much better than etched. Feel like I wasted a month of my life etching bottles that didn't really show up or look that great.

EDIT: oh, you mean leave the label on, etch around the label and take the label off. Yeah .. haven't done that. Right now the whole bottle is sandblasted to get rid of the etched area.

Actually did that but the label etching creme doesn't show up very well so we sandblasted those etched bottles last week and it created a frosted look. Vinyl labels show up much better than etched. Feel like I wasted a month of my life etching bottles that didn't really show up or look that great.

EDIT: oh, you mean leave the label on, etch around the label and take the label off. Yeah .. haven't done that. Right now the whole bottle is sandblasted to get rid of the etched area.
Ya, you have the two portions of your vinyl cut. You can either use your letters so when you sandblast and pull them off the glass will still be clear on a frosted bottle, or weed out the letters and use the larger vinyl piece as a mask and blast so the letters are frosted on a clear bottle.

It might blend in, or it might look so cool we all start doing it!

Ya, you have the two portions of your vinyl cut. You can either use your letters so when you sandblast and pull them off the glass will still be clear on a frosted bottle, or weed out the letters and use the larger vinyl piece as a mask and blast so the letters are frosted on a clear bottle.

It might blend in, or it might look so cool we all start doing it!
But then how do you reuse the bottles for another batch, if the label is sandblasted on?

But then how do you reuse the bottles for another batch, if the label is sandblasted on?

The first two bottles you can see the etching did not show up very well and when the bottle is full its even more difficult to see the etching. So we blasted those bottles to look frosted. The cool thing about Cricut permanent vinyl is it sticks for 50-75 washings and it shows up on the bottles great. I'm retired and I have this kind of time! 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
  • IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0957.jpeg
    IMG_0957.jpeg
  • 68073916313__321B2C52-5D52-4BAD-B668-1EA074E8F631.jpeg
    68073916313__321B2C52-5D52-4BAD-B668-1EA074E8F631.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 9.03.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 9.03.13 AM.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
To answer your question one would have had to have thought that far ahead! 🤷‍♂️
A primary reason I go with standard-type labels is re-usability. One some points in the past, I scavenged whatever bottles I could, including screwcap whiskey bottles.

I'm at the point now where I pick-n-choose, so I choose only Bordeaux bottles and am currently eliminating the ones that are too tall or are wider at the top -- mostly by filling them, giving them away, and not asking for the bottles back. I bottle 20-30 cases of wine in the fall, and it makes storage much easier when they bottles fit into the cases without sticking up, or by being too wide.

In that vein, I use standard labels that come off easily, which reduces my labor. Once I retire (which will be a while) I probably won't change that, because it works. And because I'm lazy. ;)

Labels are not very water resistant! Crap!!

View attachment 103073

Unfortunately true. Some inkjet printers are water resistant, but most run like crazy. The material of the label makes a big difference as well.

I print my labels on a color laser printer and it makes a tremendous different using glossy label stock.

Labels are not very water resistant! Crap!!

View attachment 103073
Someone mentioned that they spray their labels with hairspray. I took it one step further and while still on the sheet I sprayed mine with a coat of clear lacquer, let dry, and applied to the bottle.

1688586545768.png

Latest posts

Back