WineXpert Post Racking Residue?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilnH2O

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend in Canada bought me a Celler Craft "grape pack" Washington State Merlot -- and it's been a great experience to see how another kit manufacturer presents their product (my only kit experience had been Wine Expert).

I'mat the bottling stageand, rather than bottle, have decided to bulk age in a carboy, so racked today. I was surprised to see this residue.
20060808_141255_WaMerlotResidue.jpg

Disregard the bottom dregs -- the stuff on the sides appeared to be at the top of the wine and coated the sides as the level dropped during racking and stopped about the shoulders of the carboy -- the "leggy" drizzles down the sides continued after the wine was racked.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any cause for concern?
smiley24.gif

No cause for concern! All my CC grape pack kits did this. I think it may be a very small form of tartaric acid dropping out (bitartrate crystals). My Amarone, Malbec, Rosso Fortissimo, and Syrah did this. No biggie, however, let this wine age 1 year at least. The CC grape packs rival all other kits out there. At least to my tastes. Now, that all 3 big companies have a supertuscan out there to compare it would be nice to see the RJS SuperTuscan, WE SuperTuscan, and CC Rosso Fortissimo all done at the same time and compared 1 year later....

ooooooooooooooo! I just had an idea...I think I'm going to order all 3 and see what happens :)

Thanks, Dean.
smiley32.gif
I feel better now!

I'm off to Creston today to pick up my kids who have been working the harvest with their Godparents. And, for fresh cherries (lapins, looking for 30 lbs for wine)and maybe to see what the Creston U-Brew has on sale!

The fining agent in your kit doesn't happen to be isinglass does it?

Latest posts

Back