Possible to barrel without SO2 measurement?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
Considering getting a barrel but one of the things that I had read is that the “1/4 tsp k-meta every 3mo” rule of thumb no longer applies since you are no longer in glass.

I know that not everyone agrees on that rule of thumb but it’s worked for me so far (3 years) so I can live with it.

Is there any similar rule of thumb when barrel aging or does this really require you to also have a way to measure SO2?

My experience using 6 gallons barrels is similar to what @Ajmassa5983 posted above. I actually did some SO2 testing on my barrels after 1,2 and 3 months. At two months, minimally, there was enough sulfite present to make me feel OK, but by the third month, it was nearly zero. I let my barrels go 3 months lots of times and didn't ever have any issues, but wouldn't feel right telling anyone else to do it. If you pushed the 1/4 tsp addition to once every 2 months, that would feel a bit safer.............

My experience using 6 gallons barrels is similar to what @Ajmassa5983 posted above. I actually did some SO2 testing on my barrels after 1,2 and 3 months. At two months, minimally, there was enough sulfite present to make me feel OK, but by the third month, it was nearly zero. I let my barrels go 3 months lots of times and didn't ever have any issues, but wouldn't feel right telling anyone else to do it. If you pushed the 1/4 tsp addition to once every 2 months, that would feel a bit safer.............

Thanks! Any feel for if this changes much as the barrel ages? I was wondering if there was any correlation between evaporation rate and SO2 loss.

My 5 gallon barrel I top up and add 1/8 tsp every month (actually 5 weeks), the top up typically is about 375 ml bottle or a bit less.

Latest posts

Back