Possible fermenting problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickallen

Reaction score
I am doing a W.E. montepulciano. I am at my 7th day in the primary fermenter. I opened the lid and there is no bubbles or foam on top. I put a brew belt on it two days ago as I thought maybe it was a bit cold. I am wondering if fermentation has begun at all or has stalled. What should I do?

Yeast can get sluggish or stop completely in cool temperatures. That's probably no cause for concern, though; sometimes yeasts operate clandestinely. Check your SG. Hopefully it's approaching 1.010. Also, if you have an airlock on, is there activity? You can stir it a bit to get the yeast going again. If fermentation is actually stuck, let us know, but I wouldn't get into that yet.

Tony P.

nickallen...

1) This post belongs in the Kit section.

2) Also please be specific about which kit, WE has several brands. Sometimes it really does make a difference.

3) Finally, after 7 days, I'm not surprised that there is little or no signs of fermentation, especially if the temperature was reasonable.

4) In order to help you further, specific gravity readings and temperature info are required.

Steve

Steve, I certainly agree on the need to provide complete kit information. In defense of Nick, though, WE offers only one Montepulciano.
Tony P.

Steve, I certainly agree on the need to provide complete kit information. In defense of Nick, though, WE offers only one Montepulciano.
Tony P.
Yeah but why should I have to check the WE site everytime to see what kit it is. Besides if I constantly harp at people about the exact brand, it will help when they are making a merlot or chardonnay.

Folks need to learn..."the better the info, the better the response".

Steve

Thank you. I will put this in the other category the next time and give more info. It turns out the SG was ready to rack. I was expecting more activity. Turns out it did it on the sneak.

Yeah but why should I have to check the WE site everytime to see what kit it is. Besides if I constantly harp at people about the exact brand, it will help when they are making a merlot or chardonnay.

Folks need to learn..."the better the info, the better the response".

Steve

Steve, I don't want to debate you on this. I recognize that posters routinely fail to provide important information and expect responders to be clairvoyant. I don't like it either.

In this case, though, the criticism was excessive. He provided everything necessary.

After all, the answer to his question would have been no different if he had said the name of the kit, "Italian Montepulciano" instead of only "Montepulciano" (Is there another?) or even if he had added, "Selection International". In this case, he was asking about stuck fermentation, so merlot or chardonnay (as you suggest) is immaterial.

Tony P.

Steve, I don't want to debate you on this. I recognize that posters routinely fail to provide important information and expect responders to be clairvoyant. I don't like it either.

In this case, though, the criticism was excessive. He provided everything necessary.

After all, the answer to his question would have been no different if he had said the name of the kit, "Italian Montepulciano" instead of only "Montepulciano" (Is there another?) or even if he had added, "Selection International". In this case, he was asking about stuck fermentation, so merlot or chardonnay (as you suggest) is immaterial.

Tony P.
I agree Tony. And I answered his question (my point #3). Just trying to get him to provide more info in future. If we don't tell people what we need to know to help them, they may never learn.

Steve

Latest posts

Back