• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Portland, OR area regional varietal trimmings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyday

Reaction score
Hey all! Just thought I would post this here as I just spent several weeks trying to find trimmings both locally and online (from anywhere other than GA or NY) for wine grapes and came up empty; the few that were regionally appropriate that I could find weren't shipping until next spring. And I had stopped in at Portland Nursery on SE Stark a couple months ago and asked, they said they weren't expecting much, maybe a couple Pinot Gris plants and that's it, and that they couldn't order them directly, they were at the mercy of their suppliers and whatever they deliver.

Today I stopped in to see if I could pick up one of the Pinot Gris, and they have two large endrow tables of wine grapes! One for whites (gewurztraminer, chardonnay, pinot gris, and a couple other varietals) and one that looked like it was SOLELY pinot noir! Tons of them! I don't know what their division store has, but the Stark one is definitely stocked up, so if you were having the same problems with finding trimmings in the Portland metro area, now's your chance! :)

They're not the cheapest (I think each plant is $12.99) but they look very, VERY healthy, much healthier than the Pinot Gris trimming I bought last year.

Please note that I do not work for, nor have I ever worked for, Portland Nursery nor do I have any financial interest in the company (though I have bought about 90% of my fruit plants from there). This isn't an advertisement in any way, just a notification. Mods, please feel free to delete if inappropriate or move to the proper section if this isn't it. Good luck all and happy growing!

It sounds like they are grape vines, not trimmings. Sounds like maybe you were looking for cuttings to start your own vines, but those growing vines will be better in the long run as you can rest assured they are healthy and probably disease free to begin with. You can't always be sure of that with cuttings. Also they are probably on a resistant rootstock so they will live longer.

Back