RJ Spagnols Port Wine Preorder time again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George also sells a Mosti Mondiale Port, which is not special order, though.
(At least I don't think I saw it on the list.)
It is the La Bodega Port. I would seriously consider it when looking at port kits.

Wine-O said:
Guess that's the benefit of having my wife own a winemaking shop, I get first pick ;)

Well I couldn't stand it. I ordered another kit from another store online. Either I'll end up with two kits or one kit and a refund.

I bottled last year's batch of RJS Apple Tatin White Port today. I started it exactly one year ago yesterday and it has been bulk aging for eleven months, now. HOLY COW!!! That stuff is amazing! My wife says it tastes like liquid butterscotch. I bottled it in 375 ml bottles and plan to include it along with another 375 ml bottle of WE Chocolate Raspberry Port and a full bottle of RJS Cranapple Chardonnay in my "Christmas bundles" to family and business colleagues.

I ordered another kit for next year's Christmas gifts and will get it started next month. I also picked up another CRP kit as well. Eventually, though, I'm going to have to try out some of the other special ports as well. They sound soooo good!

tykyle39 said:
Well I couldn't stand it. I ordered another kit from another store online. Either I'll end up with two kits or one kit and a refund.

Ended up with 2 kits....:)

Would someone who's made one of the special port kits like the chocolate orange post a general summary of the process to make it? Sounds interesting, also seems like it would be quite involved.

winemom said:
Would someone who's made one of the special port kits like the chocolate orange post a general summary of the process to make it? Sounds interesting, also seems like it would be quite involved.

RJ Spagnols kits are straight forward. Sanitize equipment. Add juice bag. Stir in bentonite. Check specific gravity. Sprinkle yeast. Cover and allow yeast to do its job. When must reaches the specified specific gravity stabilize and clear. Then bottle. Hope this helps.

Some of the other kits require adding additional sugars for a second fermentation.

RJ Spagnols kits are straight forward. Sanitize equipment. Add juice bag. Stir in bentonite. Check specific gravity. Sprinkle yeast. Cover and allow yeast to do its job. When must reaches the specified specific gravity stabilize and clear. Then bottle. Hope this helps.

Some of the other kits require adding additional sugars for a second fermentation.

That sounds exactly like making a wine kit. What makes it port?

winemom said:
That sounds exactly like making a wine kit. What makes it port?

Basically Port is a wine fermented to about 16-18% ABV and can be fortified with spirits to get an ABV of up to 20% or so. Usually it's dessert wine hence all the flavored kits available.

Back