WineXpert Port-like experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1

Junior
Reaction score
Hello to all here at finevinewines' forum. I just started making wine last month and I've enjoyed reading the posts here.
I've got a Yamhill Pinot Noir and an Italian Pinot Grigio in bulk aging (and tasting pretty good considering their age :). I decided to experiment with half of my next batch.

I split my new Spanish Tempranillo/CabSav into two batches. One I'm making according to the directions (halved, of course). The other I'm trying to make into something resembling a port.

I used a bit less water than normal, ending up with a SG of 1.115 (a little worried about too much acid...but that's why it's an experiment). Also, I substituted a heartier yeast.

I am trying to decide how to finish up. Thus far my plans are:

Plan #1: Wait until the SG drops to something like 1.010, and taste it until it's the right amount of sweet. Then arrest the fermentation with a bottle(or so)of brandy.

Plan #2: Wait until the SG drops do ~1.030 and add somemore sugar. Repeat with smaller amounts of sugar (and lower SGs) until the yeast is toast.

If anyone has tried a similar experiment with kit juice I'd love to hear about it. I'll definately let you all know how it goes.

Cheers!

Dusty, have you checked your acidity, if out of whack you could use
calcium carbonate to lower your acidity or tartaric or even an acid
blend to up it if needed. I have yet to make a port but either way
would be fine and youll probably have to add brandy or Everclear pure
grain alc to bring the abv. up. There are a few Port makers on this
forum that hopefully will chime in for further direction but it sounds
like you have it pretty much under control!

Dusty,

I've attempted to make a "port like" wine on two occasions. The first was a blackberry that I fermented dry and added a clear Christian Bros brandy. The fruit was lacking in flavor at bottling, but after a few months its improved. I'm holding the last few bottles for a couple of years. The second was a Peach that I added peach brandy to. The peach flavor is intense, but the wine is missing something and I don't know what it is. On this wine I fermented dry, stablized, sweetened and added the brandy. This is tricky with peach brandy being very sweet already.

I recall from my first foray into winemaking 20+ years ago that most home winemakers "back in the day" who wanted port-type wines started with a must that would yield about 15% abv. Once the sg was below 1.050 they would add a little sugar (predissolved), nursing the yeast until it could no longer produce - exactly what dusty described. They seemed to get 18 - 20% abv. They would then sweeten to taste.

As I understand the port equation, ports need to be high in acid and tannin to balance the sweetness. Then again, having never made a port (but looking forward to), I may be all wet.

An update...

When the SG hit 1.040 I added 96Oz of elderberry concentrate (and no water). Interestingly, this had no effect on the SG. I also added some sugar to bring the SG up to 1.056. I also added some yeast nutrient hoping to make sure the wine didn't end up too sweet if the yeast quit earlier than expected. To my surprise the SG was 1.000 a couple of days later (there goes arresting fermentation early).

So, I added 750ml of Brandy to get the alcohol level to 20% and added just under 4 TBSP of winexpert conditioner (sweetener). It tasted a bit under sweet to me, but I'm planning on bringing the sweetness level up slowly over time as it would be much harder to fix an over-sweet port. I think the elderberry concentrate upped the acid to the right levels (or so say my taste-buds). I might end up adding some tannin later on, but I'm going to give than some more time as well.

Thus far it tastes better than expected, which is always encouraging.

I did something like this with my Black Currant. I split the 6gal batch into 2 3g batches (I used 2 cans of vintners harvest and 2 red grape concentrates, fermented to dry). I had already sweetened with 250ml of wine conditioner. One 3g batch was bottled as is, the other was fortified to 18% with 375ml of Everclear and 375 of brandy. It's young and you can definitely taste the higher alcohol but I think it tastes pretty good. Only been in the bottle a week so time will tell. Edited by: Coaster

Back