Port fortified with clear spring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
Can I use Clear Spring Grain Alcohol (95 % alc,190 proof)to fortify my port wine?

Absolutely, just be careful not to add too much as this stuff has a terrible flavor to it and if that flavor comes through then you will not be happy.

Casper, yes you can. I use moonshine from a local backwoods brewer and works very well.

Actually Wade, just the opposite. Grain alcohol will absorb the flavor of what you are putting it into (or putting into it). The last quart that I just used in my Port had about 10 or 12 whole blackberries to it. The quart of moonshine was a very nice purple/black color from the blackberries and had a nice slight blackberry flavor. This was just made a couple of months ago and like wine, if it were allowed to age in the fruit, it is really good. A few years ago I had a quart with a slice of Peach in it. When I first tried it, it burned so bad it wasn't worth drinking. Letting it sit a couple of years made it a very nice peach alcohol, that would still take your breath away when you downed a shot, but it was very good.

I stand corrected then! Ive never used it yet but know from others that grain alc. is used along with brandy to fortify a wine. I know that grain is nasty by itself and thats what I was going by and just didnt want someone dumping in a bottle to bring up the abv and start tasting that grain. Thanks for correcting me jobe.

Yep, the grain alcohol we get out here is flavorless. Sometimes, you can almost pick up a hint from the mash that was used, but you can only do it once! After that, your tastebuds are shot from the high alcohol. Usually to get 95%, you have to triple distill it, and that also removes most of the fuesel oils (hangover bad stuff) that yeast produce toward the end of fermentation. But I wouldn't know about any of that stuff
smiley15.gif

I would have never though so either Wade, the stuff is potent!

I have another quart of it with some blackberries in it, again, only ten or 12 blackberries.

Maybe in search of that little blond girl in the brown shorts, She may have a small bottle of it in your next package.

I wonder what the federal penalties are for shipping moonshine?

Edit: I was gonna add, that this stuff remind me of tofu, or however you spell it. It absorbs the flavor of whatever it is with.

I also tried one of the blackberries that has been soaking.........
smiley11.gif
Tasted like a green olive that was sitting in rubbing alcohol...... And I HATE GREEN OLIVES!!!!!!!

Edited by: jobe05

I use it too,but the stuff I use is made with just sugar.No grains.No bad taste,no hangover.As long as the wine has lots of flavor,and you dont use too much,you will never know its there.I also like using brandy,but not the storebought stuff.Not that I know anything about that stuff!
smiley1.gif

Thank you for your feedback, now I feel more confident to use it. It is to fortify my blackberry/raspberry port. I may use it for my Chocolate Raspberry port, maybe just half of the batch just to be safe.

I think Wade's a revenu-er!
smiley36.gif

Quick, hide the stills!

Latest posts

Back