Pomegranate wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
started a few different wines with pomegranates has been going for 12 days and here are the lastest stats;
PH-2.7
67.7 F
Brix-7.5
SG-1.030

would like some tips on what you would do next. the PH has dropped from 3.0..this is my first time making wine!

Sounds like it is fermenting extremely slow.

What is the temperature of the wine?

A ph of 2.7 seems very acidic, perhaps too acidic for most strains of yeast. I would think that you would want to raise the pH (reduce the acidity) to about 3.4, but I am not sure why the pH is as low as you suggest that it is. Have you calibrated your pH meter correctly? Are you confident that the reading you have is accurate?

A ph of 2.7 seems very acidic, perhaps too acidic for most strains of yeast. I would think that you would want to raise the pH (reduce the acidity) to about 3.4, but I am not sure why the pH is as low as you suggest that it is. Have you calibrated your pH meter correctly? Are you confident that the reading you have is accurate?

Isn't it possible that his pH is low because he is in the middle of fermentation, with lots of carbonic acid in the must?

It's possible, I suppose.. but even with mead you don't expect it to become that acidic in the middle of fermentation... I've made pomegranate wine a couple of times and have never had problems with such high levels of acidity (although I don't press my own fruit - I buy Pom juice).

the PH meter is correct. i do calibrate it every time. here is when the acid changed

Rehydrated yeast according to the package. Yeast type 71B-1122
Brix 23.6
SG 1.092
PH 3.1
73.5 F
Added yeast nutrient 1tsp, placed on seedling heating mat. By morning bucket was fizzing.
PH 2.7
80 F
Brix 18.6
SG 1.073

when can i correct the ph? after it has dropped to point? stats are at Brix-7.5
SG-1.030. i was planning to use K2CO3, (i havent found KHCO3) after the primary finishes.

I'd add the potassium bicarbonate as soon as you can. Buffer that sucker. Your pH is killing your fermentation. Help your yeast help you.

Latest posts

Back