Pomegranate: stuck fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batavia

Junior
Reaction score
Started this one on 4/14/10, using Bill B's recipe, adjusted to a 3 gal recipe, POM juice only:

<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">5 gal 100% pure juice
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0"> 2 12 oz cans frozen 100% Pomegranate(or pom/blueberry)
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0"> juice (do not add water) just thaw and add to juice
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0"> yeast nutrient(different brands require different amounts per Gal)
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0"> pectic enzyme ( same as above) I use powder not liquid
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">1/4 tsp k-meta
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">k sorbate
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">1 pk Montrechet yeast

Starting SG was around 1.085,room temp around 75F. Left it in the primary for about 10 days( racked to 3gal carboy once visible signs of fermentation subsided), SG has been around 1.002 since then. When I transferred, I splash racked into the carboy and also transferred some of the yeast slurry in hopes that fermentation would pick up again...is there anything I can do at this point? I tasted the must and it tastes somewhat dry and very tart. Here are some pics of the current state of affairs:
20100428_152426_P1010990.JPG

20100428_152701_P1010997.JPG

There are still bubbles rising in the wine thief column, I wonder if it's fermentation bubbles or if it is starting to degas on its own.

Note: no kmeta or sorbate has been added at this point (juice came sterilized). I read that fruit wines can take a long time to ferment, but since the SG hasn't moved, I amstumped...
smiley5.gif

Any thoughts?

When you say around 1.002 do you mean its at that and not moving at all or at that and moving very slowly?

Batavia, I made this one in a 6 gallon recipe. It is still bulk aging. It did take a long time to finish fermenting. Imade pomegranate blueberry, It must be the nature of the beast to take a long time to finish. Patience is a virtue with this one!

Unless you really want this Desert dry I think this is actually a decent sg to come down to on a fruit wine, that is very close to 0 residual sugar anyway so I really wouldnt worry about it f it doesnt go any lower. If it truly is stuck then tye only really thing that will work at this point is to rack this wine onto a yeast slurry that has made more abv then this one has so if you have another wine fermenting right now and this one isnt moving anymore and t=you really want thye sg of this lower that would really be the only option.

Thanks for your suggestions
smiley1.gif
! It has been at the same SG for almost a week now, I'm not sure if I should give it a couple more days...

The batch I made wasn't done fermenting at that s.g. It wouldn't clear! It also had small bubbles rising in the tube when checking the s.g.! 2 weeks is not a long time for this wine to ferment.

Thanks Barney! I guess I could just leave it be and check SG on two consecutive days each week and if it still hasn't moved in the next week or two, I probably go ahead and stabilize it....thanks for all your input!

I would wait a few days and then try to degas it and see what happens.

Back