Pomegranate 14 Months old

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionRat

Reaction score
Pulled the cork on a bottle of pomegranate made in Oct of 2012. What a nice flavor. I really cant say there was that much pomegranate flavor. It was a little tart, not too tart though. As I am so new to wine making is the pom flavor going to come forward the longer it ages?

pom.jpg

RR

It mite, but I am guessing if it comes forward, it will not be very much. By 14 months, it should be pretty well aged and not change too much. This is just a guess and yours mite be different from other wined I have been around. Arne.

Thanks for the reply Arne. I used: 20 poms, 3 gal water, 3# raisins. It is already bottled. I bottle it a few months ago. I back sweetened to 1.005. At bottling it tasted as it did now. I was just hoping the flavor would come forward a little more. Next time I think I will up the amount of fruit and consider and f-pac post fermentation.

RR

That is the thing about homewine making, sometimes you get to be one of the only guys making a certain kind of wine. Thus, it can sometimes be difficult to find others who are experienced with the type of wine you made and what to expect as it ages.

I am not sure how much more forward it will come over time. I know my peach wine had quite a change from the 12 month to 18 month mark.. So I would not count it out yet.

RegionRat, just curious, why the raisins? I'm just starting out and Pomegranate sounds really good.

They can improve the mouth-feel of the wine by increasing its viscosity. This gives the wine a heartier, overall impression. It also causes the fruit flavors to linger on the tongue longer, producing a fruitier impression. -

RR

Last edited:
Fruit wines don't necessarily taste just like the fruit the come from. This is particularly true for fruits that are rather sweet when we normally experience them. Did you backsweenten this any? Sometimes a little sweetness can bring out the fruit flavor more. Can also balance out the acidity. Others would add more fruit once the fermentation is close to finishing (or even after it is finished and stabilized) to add back more of that basic fruit flavor.

Fruit wines don't necessarily taste just like the fruit the come from. This is particularly true for fruits that are rather sweet when we normally experience them. Did you backsweenten this any? Sometimes a little sweetness can bring out the fruit flavor more. Can also balance out the acidity. Others would add more fruit once the fermentation is close to finishing (or even after it is finished and stabilized) to add back more of that basic fruit flavor.

Yes I back sweetened. It is 1.005 right now. Maybe I should have made it a little more sweet.

I am not saying it isnt quite tasty, just not what I was expecting.

This is an ever evolving learning experience for me.

RR

Back