Plums & Niagra?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topkeg

Reaction score
Ive got a batch (my first!) of plum wine aging (currently at about 6 months) and I would like to sweet'n and smooth out a little before bottling. I noticed in another post that "Julie" had mentioned she has used some niagara grape as a nice mix with plums. I also have some niagara's vines that are new and only produced a limited amount of harvest this year. With the niagara's I did the juicing trick of filling mason jars with grapes/sugar and pooring in boiling water and then canning. I did some with sugar ans some with Truvia. It actually made a fine tasting juice, especially when mixed with coconut rum!

So my question is what do y'all think about using this to back sweet'n?

I think that would be a good idea. Just be sure to add some meta and sorbate too. The sorbate will prevent the remaining yeast cells from using the sugar, and starting a referment. Do this at bottling time. Six months is still kind of young for plum--you want all the sediment dropped out and the wine perfectly clear. Sorbate can only be used when the wine is clear.

Back