please identify!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what these are and if they are safe to make wine out of. They are very abundant in my area so I figured Id ask one of yous wo make wine out of a lot of things Ive never tried since I ave carboys and fermenters available at this time.
20090722_201549_red_berries.jpg

tree/ shrub or bush?

At first look they appear to be a wild cherry type, like pin cherry. Like you always say- we need more information.

Single large seed or pit or many small ones?

What color when ripe and soft?

etc.?

No seeds in them and they are like shrubs or small bushes. I believe they are looking ripe as of right now.

I hope someone tells you what they are. My brother pointed out some near his place to me today that look just like that. They are ripe, do have very small seeds in them, not pits. He says the birds leave them alone and then the next day they are just gone. The probably don't taste good until ripe and then the birds clean them out when ripe.

Looks almost like some type of Holly to me . Except fo the leaves that would be my guess

Almost like a red currant with the exception that red currants are bunched together and these are singular.

The leaves aren't right for red currants either!

Thinking of currants..........
I have 15 bushes loaded with black currants and can't seem to find the time to pick them. The Titania have a few quarts each on them in their third year. They are about 5-6 feet tall and about that wide. The Consorts have a fair amount on them also. I have been letting them ripen more, but they are beginning to drop a few, so I will need to pick them soon. I still haven't even made wine from the ones last year yet!
smiley36.gif

As I search and search it does seem to be a part of the holly family so I guess ill stray and stay safe.

I recommend.....

You go get a large bowl full....... Put them on your coffee table in the TV room...... Invite your most annoying friend over........

The pin cherries I am familiar with are dark so I am confidentthey are not pin cherries. I suggest you send your photo to a botanist at a local university. Until then, beware. Are the birds eating them?

Latest posts

Back