Pineapple Gift Project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
regionrat, not to hijack this thread, but i see lots of diffennt wines in carboys. If you get a chance next year, beg for, buy,trade for as many figs as you can get...I have made wine from just about everything...Fig is my favorite, I think if you try it, you will be very suprised.
I have read a lot of info of ancient wine making...some think that dates and figs were fermented before grapes..
It is excellent, with a taste I can not even describe other then very pleasant,warm,comfortable.

One of those in the background is an Dried Apricot/Fig/Date with Piloncillo- Mexican Sugar to boost sg pre fermentation. Three gallon batch. It is clear and aging away. Started 1-17. Still young but it will be a good one I can tell.

RR

Never thought of the Pilonillo sugar...thats a good idea with apples, pears, figs.....good info...thanks.

Never thought of the Pilonillo sugar...thats a good idea with apples, pears, figs.....good info...thanks.

I use it in the hard cider I make. I think it is better then brown sugar. More natural. Brown sugar is made by adding cane molasses to completely refined white sugar.

RR

Degassed

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6WbkonniDs"]Racked/Degassed the other Day[/ame]

RR

Last edited:
Lori,

There is not much to report. There are 2 carboys just sitting there aging. I have 3 gallons of guava aging along side them that will be used for a blend. Other the racking in another month or so.

RR

Region Rat,
Thanks for keeping us updated, the addition of videos along the way was a very cool touch!
I've been sitting here thinking about a few enzymes and natural enhancers that might have been perfect for this wine, if you're like me, if I like something, i'll keep on making it!
I'd recommend checking into a pectinase such as Lallezyme EX could have helped to break down the solids a bit more possibly adding to the wonderful characteristics of the Pineapple.
Opti-White, (taken from the Scott labs white papers) helps increase roundness, improve fresh, fruity aromas and work as anti-oxidants to help reduce the risk of browning and pinking. These anti-oxidative properties work synergistically with SO2 allowing the winemaker to lower the SO2 dosage. Opti-White also increases protein stability and volatile thiols in the finished wine.
Suggested use:
• Add to any whites to improve aromatics and color stability
• Add to light and acidic whites to round out and help reduce acidic perception.
• Add to high quality whites (intended for barrel aging) to help increase aging potential.
• Add to whites that are intended

Did you add tannins? I believe that you were considering using them.
Please don't take this as me thinking I can do a better job, we all know that it is much easier to "Monday morning quarterback", once again, thanks for keeping us updated, I cannot wait to hear how it tasted.

Region Rat,
Thanks for keeping us updated, the addition of videos along the way was a very cool touch!
I've been sitting here thinking about a few enzymes and natural enhancers that might have been perfect for this wine, if you're like me, if I like something, i'll keep on making it!
I'd recommend checking into a pectinase such as Lallezyme EX could have helped to break down the solids a bit more possibly adding to the wonderful characteristics of the Pineapple.
Opti-White, (taken from the Scott labs white papers) helps increase roundness, improve fresh, fruity aromas and work as anti-oxidants to help reduce the risk of browning and pinking. These anti-oxidative properties work synergistically with SO2 allowing the winemaker to lower the SO2 dosage. Opti-White also increases protein stability and volatile thiols in the finished wine.
Suggested use:
• Add to any whites to improve aromatics and color stability
• Add to light and acidic whites to round out and help reduce acidic perception.
• Add to high quality whites (intended for barrel aging) to help increase aging potential.
• Add to whites that are intended

Did you add tannins? I believe that you were considering using them.
Please don't take this as me thinking I can do a better job, we all know that it is much easier to "Monday morning quarterback", once again, thanks for keeping us updated, I cannot wait to hear how it tasted.

Sorry it took this long to get back to you. I meant to respond and put it off till I forgot to.

I thank you for you input. I will conciser; Opti-White and Lallzyme EX, in the future. From what I read they are to be added to primary. I did not add tannin.

RR

I have a home made banana/pineapple in carboy it's been racked twice and discovered the opti-white that I bought for this wine wasn't used. :slp I know you can use tannins anytime during the winemaking process but under morewine description of this it says to add the onset of fermentation. I think it would be ok to add it now but just checking...Don't want to flub this up
thanks

opti-white is a nutrient! not a tannin!:)Don't know how I screwed that up! I'm going to use tannin ft blanc

Back