Extended Maceration?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very glad that I put the water bags around my primary pails. 1 was creeping up on 27 and I got them down to 21 by the end of the day. They are just cruising along at ~24 right now. It's warm, 30 today and the house is probably 26.

BUT! The point of the post is that all 3 are at 1.015 or lower. I suspect they will be close to bottoming out tomorrow. I just punched down the skins. There was a noticeable murkiness coming from the skins, There are also seeds that I can extract more tannin from. Normally I would go by SG to transfer to secondary, and that would likely be in my comfort zone tomorrow.

I feel I would like to make the effort to extract more from the skins. Should I just put the lid on tight and add an airlock?

Yes. But consider adding some nutrient since you are at, really past, the 1/3 sugar depletion stage. Since your SG is still not near done, CO2 is still being generated, so sealing the bucket for another 2 weeks is the way to go, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back