Pineapple Gift Project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionRat

Reaction score
I stopped by the local fruit market this morning and was given roughly 50 pineapples. They are right at the brink of being tossed.

gift.jpg

I spent around an hour cutting them up and discarding anything that looked like it was bruised. According to the bathroom scale I ended up with ~75 pounds. The free run juice is right at 13.5 Brix. I will check PH and T/A tomorrow.

choped and bagged.jpg

I would like to use as little water as possible. I am assuming the ph will be low and T/A will be high. If it that is the case I am going to add just enough water to get it in a better range. I was going to guestimate the gallons of must I will end up with and add the sugar to the water addition. I was gonna shoot for T/A in the 7-8 range.

Here it is in the Primary.

Prime.jpg

I think one will end up as wine and the other will be a version of DB

RR

Day 2

Day 2

I was going to split this into two batches. After working all day I was too burnt out to run to the store to get stuff to make a small batch of DB. I just got out a bigger fermenter and combined both.

After sitting overnight soaking in small amount of water in mesh bags with pectic enzyme I figured I would do a little crushing. Jack Keller suggested using a piece of 2x4 to mash them up. I did not freeze before cuz I am out of freezer space.

So I didn't want to use a piece of construction grade lumber so I went on a quest around my house to fund something to use. I ended up using a piece of 1 1/4 PVC. It worked great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfJ4U0eWEJs"]PVC Crushing[/ame]

Here are a few pictures;

2a Crushing.jpg
2b Crushing.jpg
2c Crushing .jpg

I tested; acid, T/A, and sugar. ph 3.62, brix 14, T/A 4.4. I added 40gr tarteric and added sugar till brix got to 22.

RR

Last edited:
I wanted to try a pineapple wine this year and didn't get around to getting fruit. I may have to give it a shot next year when Aldi has fruit on sale.

I wanted to try a pineapple wine this year and didn't get around to getting fruit. I may have to give it a shot next year when Aldi has fruit on sale.

I have been friends with the local fruit monger since we were kids. Like i said he gave the fruit to me. It was that or pitch it into the dumpster. It took some work to cut away all the parts I couldnt use but it was wort it. You would be amazed at the fresh produce that simply gets tossed out.

I dont see why you couldnt talk to the produce manager and ask him to call you when they have slightly over ripe fruit.

RR

Last edited:
I get most my "wine-experiment-fruit" off the 99-cent shelf at the local store. (Where they fill trays with about to go off veggies and fruit). $3 will get you enough fruit to do about 2 gallons of wine. It's not reliable, but quite inspiring :)

Pineapple, sounds interesting. I just racked a mango, and the combination could be awesome....

I get most my "wine-experiment-fruit" off the 99-cent shelf at the local store. (Where they fill trays with about to go off veggies and fruit). $3 will get you enough fruit to do about 2 gallons of wine. It's not reliable, but quite inspiring :)

Pineapple, sounds interesting. I just racked a mango, and the combination could be awesome....
If you had the freezer space you could just stick it in the freezer till you have enough for a larger batch...

RR

Day 3

This is what I awoke to yesterday morning. After adjusting acid the night before ( added 40gr tarteric); ph 3.36, T/A 6.8. Ready to pitch the yeast.

3a Ready for yeaste.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_bKjiAoE1c"]Ready to Test Acid Again and Add Yeast[/ame]

Here is my starter 3b Starter.jpg I am using Cote des Blancs, cuz that is what I had on hand.

It sat all day then last night there were signs fermentation stating.

3c Day Three Ferment started Evening.jpg

This was this morning!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVxZA2tBFRI"]Active Fermentation[/ame]

Got to love the smell!!

Okay, should I add tannin. 1/2 the recites I read added some.

This is as close to all juice as I can make it do you think I need an f-pac after I stabilize?.

Last edited:
RegionRat said:
If you had the freezer space you could just stick it in the freezer till you have enough for a larger batch...

RR

True, but I have no freezer space to speak of...
I quite like my one gallon batches though :) that way I can experiment, and if I like something, I'll make a big batch. This way I always have something new coming up...

Day 5

Checked sg and it was a little under 1.010 the morning. I racked into secondary.
Rack.jpg

I ended up with about 10gal of wine so far

Full.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffs8GLIzBzY"]Racking[/ame]

RR

Last edited:
Update

Here it is in secondary.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgyGj-Xh3nk"]Secondary fermentation[/ame]

Dropping lots of sediment. I think I will end up with 10 gallons after I rack and clear.
RR

Last edited:
Racking Stabilizing and Sulfiting

I racked yesterday.

1 rack.jpg

Lots of sediment

2 lee.jpg

Ended up with about 10 gall of wine. I have to pick up another 5 gal carboy.
3 racked.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrH6qrJCSw4"]Racking[/ame]

RR

Last edited:
Blending

I was thin king of something to do with some of this. I came across this list.

I think the orange-pineapple-guava combo sounds good.

I was at the fruit stand this morning and there are plenty of guavas there to be had.

RR

regionrat, not to hijack this thread, but i see lots of diffennt wines in carboys. If you get a chance next year, beg for, buy,trade for as many figs as you can get...I have made wine from just about everything...Fig is my favorite, I think if you try it, you will be very suprised.
I have read a lot of info of ancient wine making...some think that dates and figs were fermented before grapes..
It is excellent, with a taste I can not even describe other then very pleasant,warm,comfortable.

Back