Pierce Disease & Flea Medication

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Reaction score
I was recently at a vineyard and briefly discussed how they handled pierce disease. He said they injected into the irrigation line a chemical that is used in flea medicine for animals which suppresses Pierce Disease. I cannot recall the name of the chemical nor finding much in Google searches.

Anyone know what chemical is it?

The most commonly used here in Texas is Imidacloprid (trade name is "Admire"). It is ingested into the grapevine at the roots and is transferred to the glassy-wing sharpshooter when it feeds on the vine. This sharpshooter is the primary carrier of the bacterium Xylella fastidiosa, which causes Pierce's Disease. Check out the Texas A&M website and search "vineyard management" for a lot of good information.

Do you know if there is any downside to using it? Does the chemical get pulled into the fruit?

Actually, tests at TAMU have shown a fair success rate with an optimized application program. There could possibly be a vector difference from our area and that of the North Coast but the main difference I see is that your linked study refers to limited irrigation practices probably preventing the uptake of the Imidacloprid. In most all of our experiences, irrigation is prolific and therefore fully supports the chemical uptake. I do know that if you are going to grow vinifera in our zone, you need to use it in your program.

As to safety in use, TXBrew...I haven't seen any data to suggest it transfers to the fruit or is detrimental in any other way. I will qualify that by saying that recent studies are suggesting a closer look at the use of the nicotinoids as a possible culprit in reduced honey bee populations. Something to keep an eye on.

Like has been said, talk to some of the major vineyards in your area. Also talk to A&M / TEEX personnel and viticulture advisors. They will give you some great info.

Have you found talking to local vineyard managers to be successful? Are they real open or is it like all other businesses were things like management knowledge is kept more private.

Have you found talking to local vineyard managers to be successful? Are they real open or is it like all other businesses were things like management knowledge is kept more private.

talk to the vineyards that are doing the stuff and go to the ag extension workshops. When you go to the workshops pretty much about 90% of the people their have vineyards and it is an open forum for asking questions growing and pesticides, etc.

This guy has one in rockdale, tx. He has a pretty good recipe for PD. He got it from another guy that has 12 year old tempranillo. If you can keep PD from killing Vitis vinifera grapes and they last longer than 8 years in Texas you got something good.

http://www.georgetownwinery.com/CustomWines.html

Wow, had no idea that Gtown had a winery. Grew up there.

TXBrew, most of the grape growers in the state will be glad to talk to you. Many have been growing and teaching viticulture for many years. Look to names like Bobby Smith, Bobby Cox, Jim Johnson, Les Constable, Raymond Haak, Jim Kamas, Roy Renfro, etc. It's an amicable community in our state and they share a lot of knowledge. Growing grapes in Texas is different than growing them in other states...look to the local experts to help you succeed. Also look up TWGGA, the Texas Wine and Grape Growers Association....more good info. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back