Picking ripeness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Hunt

Junior
Reaction score
Apologies for leaping straight in, I haven't done forums before and I am unaware of the etiquette.

I have pinot noir in my garden at:

Brix 15
ph 3.28

Is it too early to pick?

Must adjustment isn't a problem, I'm just waiting for optimum flavour development.

Thank you in advance,

Al

Ok understand more now.
I am UK based, Cornwall, and have a small patch of vines.
I started 15 years ago with table grapes in my greenhouse and 5 years ago decide to plant a few vines for wine.
They are now fruiting and I probably have enough pinot noir fruit for 4 - 5 gallons of wine.
Thanks for reading!
Al

While sugar levels are an indication of ripeness, there are also others. Are the seeds brown? Does the flesh of the grape pull away from the skin? In general, you are looking for brix in the 20’s. For me 25 brix / 3.5 pH is the center of the bullseye for red wine.

There is another member here from UK @bathman that also grows Pinot noir. He's having ripening problems.

Your grapes in my opinion are not close to ripe. I'd consider 24 Brix about the minimum.

But why Pinot noir? Is that what does well in south England?

Not looking to make red (except in really good years, like '18), looking to make rose.
Yes pinot noir does well in southern England, in the right spots and with proper management but ripeness levels for rose and direct press are a gamble let alone red!
Final ripeness is what is staying my hand and keeping the bunches hanging, seeds are only just turning.

As NorCal notes there are changes in the fruit. For the Midwest US where we had frost warnings yesterday everything left got picked over the weekend.
There are varietal differences as Edelweiss will fall off the vine at 15 to 16 brix so it gets picked with low sugar, the French hybrids can get to 22 with less acid to deal with. , , , Not very scientific but it also seems the yellow jackets (wasps) come and the grapes smell as you walk by when they are ready.

Back