ph and ta - what would you have done

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I am making blackberry jam wine and I tested the ph and ta. The ph came out at 3.4 which I have found that is a favorable number for blackberry wine.

My ta is .4 which may not be ideal, I really don't know.

Since I was ok with the ph, I went with it and did not adjust anything.

What would you have done.

A T.A. of 4g/l is quite low; you could probably have raised it a bit higher without dramatically effecting the pH.

In that position I would have just tasted it and made adjustments based on that.

I don't think I am talking about g/l. I am talking about ta as a percentage per volume .40%. I understand that non grape ta should be .50%

There are at least two ways that people express T.A. (I can't for the life of me see why we need two!) Either as a percentage per 100ml or in grams per litre. Sometimes people leave out the % symbol which makes things confusing. 0.4% T.A. is the same as 4g/l T.A. There are no rules for what is correct T.A. (Jack Keller gives some suggestions http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/acid.asp).

If I were to go by just the numbers I would say 0.4% is a bit low but really the taste is the important thing.

WW did say 4 g/L -- that is the same as 0.4%.

I would have probably just gone ahead as you have done. If it tastes flabby later you could always add a bit more acid.

Latest posts

Back