Finer Wine Kit Petite Sirah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I was setting here enjoying my 2022 Petite Sirah and doing a comparison with a David Michael Petite Petite (Petite Sirah). I was wondering what makes the David Micheals Petite Sirah so purple compared to the FWK Petite Sirah that looks more red. Both are Lodi vineyards. Is it because of the type of grape skins that are with the FWK?

AFAIK, the skin packs are either Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot, NOT the varietal on the package.

I made a 1 lug batch of Petite Sirah last fall, using Scottzyme Color Pro maceration enzyme, and did a 14 day ferment (sealed fermenter when SG reached 1.010). When I pressed it, the wine was an electric purple, almost day-glo. I made similar batches of Mourvedre and Syrah, and while the enzyme extracted amazing color, neither was quite like the Petite Sirah.

It's likely that a combination of the grape type (Petite Sirah) and the winemaking technique resulted in the color David Michael achieved.

If you want to try to duplicate it, purchase a bottle of Color Pro (Lodi Wine labs is source for 1.3 oz bottle). It's not cheap, but I find it worth it. Add 1/2 tsp to a 23 liter kit with skin packs.

Thanks Bryan. That may be something I could try on my next batch. My wife and I’s palate is not that developed and taste wise, we think they are real close in taste. She thought she like the FWK smells better but taste wise not much difference. This just turned over a year so maybe a few more months it could even be better.

You develop your palate by practice AKA drink more wine. It sounds like a joke, but it's literally true. Comparing wines is good practice.

Buy 3 Petite Sirah and brown bag them plus yours. Mix up the packages, then have your wife mix them again, and label them #1 through #4. Then blind taste test them.

BTW, trust your wife's nose. Women generally have a better sense of smell than men. Last fall my wife smelled H2S in a wine from upstairs a day before I detected it in the primary. She didn't know what it was, just that it was nasty. I've asked her to immediately inform me if she smells it again!

Last edited:
I was setting here enjoying my 2022 Petite Sirah and doing a comparison with a David Michael Petite Petite (Petite Sirah). I was wondering what makes the David Micheals Petite Sirah so purple compared to the FWK Petite Sirah that looks more red. Both are Lodi vineyards. Is it because of the type of grape skins that are with the FWK?

Petite Petite is a blend, Petite Sryah and Petite Verdot. That may be part of the color.

Petite Petite is a blend, Petite Sryah and Petite Verdot. That may be part of the color.
Thanks. I did not realize that. It only mentioned petite sirah on the label. Is petite Verdot more or deeper purple?

I have a boogle Petite sirah I can compare too to it.

Is petite Verdot more or deeper purple?
Both are used for coloring -- Petit Verdot in Bordeaux, both around the world.

Oddly enough, Petite Sirah was developed in France, but AFAIK, it's not legal to grow there. The Rhone Rangers of CA consider it a Rhone grape because of its origins.

That's one of my favorite wines. Exceptional.

I made a 1 lug batch of Petite Sirah last fall, using Scottzyme Color Pro maceration enzyme

I contacted Scott Labs about purchasing Color Pro, but the smallest quantity is 1Kg, $100. They know of no resellers who break it into smaller quantities.

My question is did you buy an entire Kg, or did you find a reseller?

I contacted Scott Labs about purchasing Color Pro, but the smallest quantity is 1Kg, $100. They know of no resellers who break it into smaller quantities.

Last year Lodi Wine Lab sold in 1.3 oz bottles, pre-made, but are not doing it this year. Grape & Granary is selling 1 oz bottles.

If I was a cat, I'd still not live long enough to use up 1 kg.

Last year Lodi Wine Lab sold in 1.3 oz bottles, pre-made, but are not doing it this year. Grape & Granary is selling 1 oz bottles.

If I was a cat, I'd still not live long enough to use up 1 kg.

Is the ColorPro- Scottzyme the same as the Lodi Lab?

Interesting, I would suggest blend with Touriga Nacional and that will take care of providing rich, dense color. BTW this is the grapes that we grow and know how dense the color is. Where are you Located?

Interesting, I would suggest blend with Touriga Nacional and that will take care of providing rich, dense color. BTW this is the grapes that we grow and know how dense the color is. Where are you Located?
I'm on the east coast USA, and have limited access to grapes, and Touriga Nacional is not one of them. Besides, ColorPro does more than just provide color -- according to Scott Labs:

• Wines made using COLOR PRO appear to have deeper, darker, and more intense color.
  • Gentle extraction of tannins which positively impacts wine structure
  • Mouthfeel is positively impacted; wines appear rounder and herbaceous and veggie characters are minimized
  • Improved clarity, yield, and filterability
Increasing yield, e.g., get more wine when pressing, is highly important.

I'm on the east coast USA, and have limited access to grapes, and Touriga Nacional is not one of them. Besides, ColorPro does more than just provide color -- according to Scott Labs:

• Wines made using COLOR PRO appear to have deeper, darker, and more intense color.
  • Gentle extraction of tannins which positively impacts wine structure
  • Mouthfeel is positively impacted; wines appear rounder and herbaceous and veggie characters are minimized
  • Improved clarity, yield, and filterability
Increasing yield, e.g., get more wine when pressing, is highly important.
I was going to give you some to try, but we arei Nor California. I believe they provide all the above. Good luck 👍

I was going to give you some to try, but we arei Nor California. I believe they provide all the above. Good luck 👍
Color Pro is a maceration enzyme that has specific effects upon grapes. How does another grape duplicate this? While I can add another grape, such as Petit Verdot, to increase color in a wine, Color Pro extracts more from the grapes, e.g., if making Cabernet Sauvignon, I get more color from those grapes without blending. Plus it improves yield, which requires an enzyme.

That's one of my favorite wines. Exceptional.
PS is one of my favorites too! Cold soaking for as along as possible and then a slow ferment.
@silverbullet07 There has been some hit or miss success with PS on the forum, but it is one of my yearly go to's. I like it as a stand alone or can use it for some color. Keep exploring and good luck!

AFAIK, the skin packs are either Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot, NOT the varietal on the package.

I made a 1 lug batch of Petite Sirah last fall, using Scottzyme Color Pro maceration enzyme, and did a 14 day ferment (sealed fermenter when SG reached 1.010). When I pressed it, the wine was an electric purple, almost day-glo. I made similar batches of Mourvedre and Syrah, and while the enzyme extracted amazing color, neither was quite like the Petite Sirah.

It's likely that a combination of the grape type (Petite Sirah) and the winemaking technique resulted in the color David Michael achieved.

If you want to try to duplicate it, purchase a bottle of Color Pro (Lodi Wine labs is source for 1.3 oz bottle). It's not cheap, but I find it worth it. Add 1/2 tsp to a 23 liter kit with skin packs.
Got my color Pro on the way as well as two FWK Petite Sirah's to try It out on. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts

Back