Petite Sirah with high PH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very easy to over shoot a bit when approaching the target 8.2 PH.
A bit of a drop would do it, which is what I added last to go over 8.2
I will check my notes later but I think that is the TA I started with prior to fermentation.

Generally, you want that TA between .65 and .75. So a .8, knowing you overshot seems reasonable. If comfortable with that, I'd go straight to the bench trials and see if you have any appreciable improvement with the addition of a little acid. If not, I'd just let it ride.

Just rechecked the numbers and pretty much around the same:
PH=~3.85 (a tiny bit less)
TA=~.8

As before, used 15ml of wine (no water) and added around 8ml of 0.2N solution to come up close to a PH of 8.2

Will do a small bench trial with tartaric acid.

Checking my notes, and to my surprise, these numbers have not really changed at all, this specific note was prior to MLF:

Sept 26
SG ~1.000 racked, pressed and let it sit in bucket for a few hours until later in the night. PH=3.86, TA ~0.8x

Checking my notes, and to my surprise, these numbers have not really changed at all, this specific note was prior to MLF:

Sept 26
SG ~1.000 racked, pressed and let it sit in bucket for a few hours until later in the night. PH=3.86, TA ~0.8x

Hard to test pH, I think, while it is fermenting.

Racked this wine out of the Vadai barrel after close to 3 months.
Used about 3 bottles of a cab/Merlot blend I made from juice a couple years ago to top off 6gal carboy, and stirred well.
PH came down a bit to ~3.79 range.

Before topping off I tasted this PS and it has a bite, I think a bit astringent and assume the high acid is part of it, something like very strong tannins.
The wine is young, made in the fall, and hope it will mellow a bit with time....we'll see...

Back