Pectic enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckcreek

Joan
Reaction score
The peach wine recipe I'm using calls for 2 teaspoons pectic enzyme per gallon.
I found another recipe for peach wine and it had a lot less than this. If this was a mistake in the recipe will it affect my wine and if so what can I do about it?

can you post the whole recipe? In my opinion pectic enzyme should not affect the finish flavor of the wine within reason. There has been a few times that I added it about 48 hours before pitching the yeast and still had to ad some after fermentation to aid with clearing.

The peach wine recipe I'm using calls for 2 teaspoons pectic enzyme per gallon.
I found another recipe for peach wine and it had a lot less than this. If this was a mistake in the recipe will it affect my wine and if so what can I do about it?

Unfortunately, PE varies. You should go by the instructions included with your enzyme.

I've seen some that says 1/2 tsp per gallon and some that says 1 tsp per gallon.

Peach is one of those that has a lot of pectin. Upping the dose a bit won't hurt anything. Extending the time the enzyme has to work prior to pitching yeast won't hurt either.

I got the recipe from a little book titled "Enjoy Home Winemaking, A guide for the Beginner". I am attaching the page with the recipes and of course, I used the peach. I'm glad to know that the pectic enzyme will probably not affect my wine.

wine receipes.jpg

Latest posts

Back