Pectic Enzyme substitute?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
I have about 5 bushels of Italian plums, and apples ready for processing.
I can't wait for a long mail order delay, and I can't find any enzymes locally.
Is there any readily available substitute to help the fruit give up more juice?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pretty sure I don't have room in the freezer for 40 gallons of apples & plums. ;)
But that would be the next best choice, I know.

If you want it really fast, try one of the winemaking stores and have them overnite express it. Will cost you, but will get there pretty quick. Arne.

you can always get a steam juicer, or for that matter go get a 50 dollar juicer at walmart and put it to the test, remember you have like 90 days to break something and take it back to them for an exchange/refund.

if you do that put the juice in the fridge and try to freeze/thaw the left over pulp, little time consuming but you do what you have to do.

The peel of the papaya fruit has natural pectic enzyme. You can use 1/2 of the peel of one papaya to replace 1 tsp. of enzyme. Just add it into the must for fermenting and place the rest in a freezer bag for reuse later.

The peel of the papaya fruit has natural pectic enzyme. You can use 1/2 of the peel of one papaya to replace 1 tsp. of enzyme. Just add it into the must for fermenting and place the rest in a freezer bag for reuse later.

that's just plain genius

Latest posts

Back