Peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasK

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about peaches? There appear to be all manner of varieties, and I'm curious which one(s) are more suited for wine making.

My local orchard lists the following "varietals" in order of ripening:

Gala, Sentinel, Harvester, Cary Mac, Bounty, Redglobe, Majestic, Dixiland, Jersey Queen, Ouachita Gold, and Fayette.

I plan to get a couple of bushels this year to make a summer wine.

I dont know for sure but Ive read that the Jersey Queen and Ouachita Gold are the best out of what you listed.

I don't know a lot about peaches, but I went to our favorite fruit stand to see what might be available. The peaches were really good.

Sadly, early peaches in Alabama are kind of a PITA. The flesh doesn't pull off the pit cleanly. The lady told me to wait until late June or July for fruit that would pit easily.

I never even thought about a difference, but it'll save me a bunch of work.

I don't know a lot about peaches, but I went to our favorite fruit stand to see what might be available. The peaches were really good.

Sadly, early peaches in Alabama are kind of a PITA. The flesh doesn't pull off the pit cleanly. The lady told me to wait until late June or July for fruit that would pit easily.

I never even thought about a difference, but it'll save me a bunch of work.

hey ken
I live in decatur al, where do you get your peachs at, my wife love peach wine and want to make some.

Go with any that are sweet and juicy. A blend of different kinds might wind up being very good.

I made peach wine from frozen store bought peaches but don't know where they came from.

hey ken
I live in decatur al, where do you get your peachs at, my wife love peach wine and want to make some.

I've had good luck at Dog Days asking for over-ripe peaches. Be careful of what you get sold, because there can be a LOT of waste. The discount price on some baskets isn't worth it. Shop around beore putting any $$$ down and negotiate accordingly for less than premium fruit. ;)

Isom's peaches are always good. Some aren't as pretty as they might be from the storms, but the taste is good. If you call Isom's ahead, sometimes they do have overripe fruit. They also have canteloupes and eating-grapes available now.

Hope this helps!

Anyone know anything about peaches? There appear to be all manner of varieties, and I'm curious which one(s) are more suited for wine making.

My local orchard lists the following "varietals" in order of ripening:

Gala, Sentinel, Harvester, Cary Mac, Bounty, Redglobe, Majestic, Dixiland, Jersey Queen, Ouachita Gold, and Fayette.

I plan to get a couple of bushels this year to make a summer wine.

Dont know the name but, I like using "FREE STONE" peaches. Reason is much easier to pit the peach.

You definitely want Freestone peaches, not Clingstone peaches. Name means what it says - freestones will pry right off the seed inside cleanly while clingstones are the ones you end up sucking the flesh off the seed and feel like a squirrel doing so.

Actually pitting the peaches was easy. I took a sharp paring knife and rolled the peach around in my hand while holding the knife all the way into the edge of the pit. I did this several times and I had my slices as well. Then all I had to do was open it up and pull out the pit.

Thanks Ken

I've had good luck at Dog Days asking for over-ripe peaches. Be careful of what you get sold, because there can be a LOT of waste. The discount price on some baskets isn't worth it. Shop around beore putting any $$$ down and negotiate accordingly for less than premium fruit. ;)

Isom's peaches are always good. Some aren't as pretty as they might be from the storms, but the taste is good. If you call Isom's ahead, sometimes they do have overripe fruit. They also have canteloupes and eating-grapes available now.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Ken

Latest posts

Back