Peach wine kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lccmo

Reaction score
Im am currently working on a peach kit, and the SG seems to be ahead of the suggested timeframes. Is this normal? Do you generally go buy SG or by the times given?

I go by time & sg. I don't start the next step until the time is expired, and the first thing I do is to check the sg. If the sg is too high, I may wait a while longer or may take other steps. If the sg is too low, then I continue on.

Steve

I have never done a Kit. But timelines can vary with temperature and yeast. I would imaging this factor is taken into account when a kit is reciped. Setting the timeline at the outer parameters would insure proper fermentation at minimal levels.

I almost exclusively do RJ Spagnols kits and their instructions will list the steps/phases as "DAY 1" then for example "DAY 14 (approx.)", "DAY 28 (approx.)", etc. The instructions also give you the SG or SG range at which the steps begin or end. The approximate day listed is just a guide line.

Last edited:
If it is step 2 (typically 5-7 days, rack at SG 1.01) then ok to rack at SG 1.01 or lower.

If it is step 3 (typically 5-7 more days, at SG below 0.996), then check the SG, and if unchanged for 2 days, then ok to stabilize and add fining agents, regardless of how many days it takes.

Latest posts

Back