Peach Wine ( High Octane WINE ) ?'s

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Say one wanted to make a 20% + peach wine, NO ILLEGAL version, what would be the best yeast to use to get up around 20-23% without having to many off flavors. And would it be good to make it really sweet afterwards (port style), like a peach schnapps would be.

To push an ABV like that, you're most likely looking at "distillers yeasts" of some sort.. I've heard the majority of them give funky flavors, or just plain dont taste good at all. In my opinion, i would go with some 1118 and just shoot for the 18% its capable of.

To answer the second part, making a nice wine is about finding a balance between flavor - peach in this case, acid levels, tannins, alcohol level, sweetness.. Might be missing something.. If you crank up the alcohol, you're gonna have to adjust everything else to maintain a balance.

ever tried wild yeast you know the yeast on it (if it's fresh peaches)most I've done go up really high if you just go a little at a time, where you slowly add simple syrup

I might try some with the wild yeast ans then some with the 1118 yeast. I guess the main question is should it stay dry or should I backsweeten it to get the same basic taste as a peach schnapps. I know that a liqueur is sweet, but I was thinking that a schnapps was a dry alcohol.
Any ideas? Other than try it both ways which I will probably do.
Plan is to use pure peach juice to make a gallon for a test run. Then depending on which turns out the best next year will be 5-10 gallon batches.

Hi pwrose,

You know what you are asking for really isn't a wine. You are going to lose most of the flavor of the peach when you jack it up that high.

OK here's MY question...

WHY would you want this?

I would fortify port-style with some peach brandy. Otherwise, its probably not going to taste very good.

Really the only reason for doing it is to try it and see how its turns out. I was just looking for opinions on what the best way to go about doing it was.

I made an elderberry port last year and it was EXCELLENT. Since I like peachy other things I figured I would give it a try making it with a higher alcohol, especially since I cant make anything else out of it!!!!! AND NO THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS IS FOR

I was thinking that since peach is a mild fruit that I would use just peach juice and pulp to make it and try to retain as much flavor as I could. Probably will even use a good bit for an f-pak. I figure if I can make something similar to a peach schnapps with out distilling it, the all the better. But if I can only get about 18-20% and not loose the flavor then I guess I will be doing good.

PS
I updated my Blog tonight.

I would use 1/2 times more juice or fruit than normal, or even double according to how high your going with ABV to begin with then go from there if you let it ferment slower instead of really quick it will keep alot more flavor, and most of you know you can do higher ABV and still have good taste lol you just don't wanna admit it

Id dble the frut and use light malt extract in it also. Goodfella made some Peach Port and it was delish! Im pretty sure he also used brandy at the end to fortify it a but also. Distillers yeasts are usually cleaner with the exception of that Turbo Yeast, that stuff is nasty and dont even think of it!!! :s

Back