Pasteur Red, RC 212? Experiences in big CC kits such as 2011 LE Chateau Du Pays?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJayman

Reaction score
Mods- hate to put this over here as I originally put it in the Cellar Craft forum, but as there is limited traffic and "no bites", figure this could apply to other "BIG" kits. Just FYI, I again rechecked SG about 30 minutes ago and was up to 1.096. Here is my yeast question:

"I picked up 2 of these last year with one in the bottle and the other I threw in the tank today but haven't added the yeast. I am looking at trying a different yeast to bring out a better/bigger Euro style red and have both Pasteur Red and RC 212 on hand, but leaning toward the Pasteur Red. The kit comes with the normal EC 118 of course.

My question is, has anyone made this kit with these more specialized yeasts??? My concern is this is an 16L kit with a 2.6L super pack and I am concerned with the upper end alcohol content killing off my yeast with both of these alternates topping out around 15%. At the time of "dumping" SG was about 1.085, but of course grape pack contains a lot of sugar which will continue to come into solution. After a few hours, SG is now up to 1.090.

The other kit I made (with the EC118) seemed to come out at about .994/.995 SG. (I only took a "dumping" SG which was a little lower around 1.076)

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences!

Respectfully,"

Last edited:
Back