Pasta e Fagioli

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
<TABLE =MsonormalTable style="MARGIN: auto auto auto 1.5pt; WIDTH: 93.28%; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 width="93%">
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 320.3pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 320.3pt; : transparent" vAlign=top>
<TABLE =MsonormalTable style="WIDTH: 71.56%; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 width="71%">
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 308.35pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 308.35pt; : transparent" vAlign=top>

Deb’s Pasta e Fagioli<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

1 pound Hot turkey sausage (removed from casing)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, julienne
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans (with liquid)
1 (15-ounce) can white cannellini beans (with liquid)
1 (12-ounce) can V-8 juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 cup ditali pasta
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 87.3pt; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 320.3pt; : transparent" vAlign=top width=116>
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
Brown the turkey sausage with oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
Add onion, celery and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.
About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is al dente, or slightly tough.
Drain and add the pasta to the soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.
Serves 8

My wife's version of the classic Italian soup...who needs to go to the Olive Garden!

I like to kick it up a notch with some Valley Brew hot sauce!

I have a Bergamais from kit made over a year ago. It is just now coming in. It is very good with red sauce dishes.

Onion wine tastes good in French-onion soup.

Go figure!
smiley2.gif

With or in? I am not a cook (at all) so it's hard for me to know which wines go INTO which foods. I did use my Onion wine as a marinade for some pork chops once. It softened them right up and gave a slight onion taste to the whole concoction. I also like to use my wines in gravies...

i don't waste my wine by putting it in the food. I like to drink it with food sometimes, especially steak and blackberry wine.

You don't, but maybe your wife does......
smiley2.gif

Why don't you ask her sometime if she does. You might just be surprised!

By the way, Here's a general recipe for a very good red-cabbage side-dish. It should be served with darker meat.

Martina's Mom's Red-Cabbage Recipe
<UL>
<LI>1 can of red cabbage</LI>
<LI>1 onion</LI>
<LI>1 apple</LI>
<LI>10 strips of bacon</LI>
<LI>at least 1 cup of red wine (here, my onion wine is pretty good)</LI>
<LI>salt to taste</LI>
<LI>pepper to taste</LI>[/list]

Chop up the onion, apple and bacon. Add together all of the ingredients and stir well. Add the wine, put the lid on it, and simmer until the cabbage is soft (takes a long time).

Voila! GREAT recipe if you like anything that you can shoot (duck, goose, deer, rabbit, boar, etc... I forget the general name of "wild" animals for food.... Probably because I don't eat that.). Also good with lamb, horse, beef and pork -- none of which I really eat to begin with, but oh well. This recipe is really good.

I imagine you if you really want the cabbage soft, you could put it in a slow-cooker for about 4-5 hours on low. But that's more of a hunch than a fact, so if it doesn't work, it's not my fault!

Edited by: MedPretzel

I just printed out debs recipe, I may have to put in a touch of maple syrup though (I am like that elfe)
smiley29.gif

and get the gallon jug of Frank's hot sauce out!! I have a tupperware
container of cayanne that will come into play here....hey it's cold
outside..we like it HOT here.
smiley15.gif

I have all the ingredients, I usually follow a recipe the first time
and then make ajustments to my liking, but I would like to put in a
small can of mushrooms in this batch, is that OK
smiley25.gif
masta

OK I have the Pasta e Fagioli simmering on the stove, the only problem
was I had no basil, so I replaced it with cayanne pepper, I think it
has the same flavor, it sure smells and looks good, and it was easy to
make, I even bought the correct pasta.
smiley32.gif
I'll post one of my easy but good recipes when I get a chance, I'm going to bottle my three bottles of wine now.

I am eating a bowl of Pasta e Fagioli as I write, it is wonderfull and
was a snap to make, the extra cayanne is searing my tongue, which makes
the rich flavor of my first glass of wildberry shiraz even so more
enjoyable
smiley4.gif
Thanks for the recipe once again
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

I've had 4 bowls of pasta and 3 glasses of wildberry and life is good...lol
smiley29.gif
Where is my SYRUP...Frank the ELF
smiley20.gif

since I have no stomac, slippery food goes down real well, this pasta
e fogoili goes down great, a little aging (2 hours) helped the
cayanne to mellow (or was it the wine?)
Edited by: AAASTINKIE

MedPretzel said:
You don't, but maybe your wife does......
smiley2.gif

Why don't you ask her sometime if she does. You might just be surprised!

By the way, Here's a general recipe for a very good red-cabbage side-dish. It should be served with darker meat.

Martina's Mom's Red-Cabbage Recipe
<UL>
<LI>1 can of red cabbage
<LI>1 onion
<LI>1 apple
<LI>10 strips of bacon
<LI>at least 1 cup of red wine (here, my onion wine is pretty good)
<LI>salt to taste
<LI>pepper to taste</LI>[/list]

Chop up the onion, apple and bacon. Add together all of the ingredients and stir well. Add the wine, put the lid on it, and simmer until the cabbage is soft (takes a long time).

Voila! GREAT recipe if you like anything that you can shoot (duck, goose, deer, rabbit, boar, etc... I forget the general name of "wild" animals for food.... Probably because I don't eat that.). Also good with lamb, horse, beef and pork -- none of which I really eat to begin with, but oh well. This recipe is really good.

I imagine you if you really want the cabbage soft, you could put it in a slow-cooker for about 4-5 hours on low. But that's more of a hunch than a fact, so if it doesn't work, it's not my fault!

Uh... NO! She knows better than mess with the wine without telling me. Besides, she don't cook fancy. She prepares mostly southern country food. Thank God!

Yes, southern food is very good. I like it too. I even eat meat if you tell me there's barbeque!!

Comfort food, some call it.I am currently off all the big southern carbs, though. Got a little baggage goin' on.

I am cooking a double batch of pasta e fagioli, I'm working the next
three nights, nice warm bowl will keep me company, you will see how
shift work makes a person crazy as I post the next 3 days (just when I
was starting to normal out..lol)
smiley29.gif
I highly recomend anyone try this recipe, it is GREAT (just add some cayanne if you like it HOT
smiley15.gif

, I put 2 teaspoons in) and I picked up some basil today too. You three
amigo's (masta, country, pretzel) are going to bring me up a notch, I
can just tell!! PS it's snowing out here in the deep woods now.

Latest posts

Back