OxiClean in my wine? Advise please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumazilla

Reaction score
I used OxiClean to clean up a bucket that smelled strongly of the wine batch before it. I rinsed with plenty of hot water, then sanitized with SanStar. Upon twice daily stirring on my next batch, the fermentation would take on a rather white bubbly head (resembling OxiClean at work), up to about 4" (making Sassafras wine, so it is possible that it might be normal for this wine). Is it probable that I just didn't rinse well enough? And if you answer yes, is my batch wasted? I don't really taste any soap or cleaning product in it. I normally don't clean with this, but One Step wasn't getting the smell out of the bucket.

The useful life of a mix of OneStep is actually pretty short but in any case it's really best as a sanitizer not a true cleaner.
When I finish a batch I try to wash everything up with dishwashing liquid (Dawn) then rinse well and finish with my sanitizer. Then before I use it for the next batch I smell it as you did and repeat the wash if neccessary.
I agree that the Oxiclean is not likely to be what is causing your foam.

What a relief. I sure was thinking of all the hours I put into digging, cleaning, peeling, boiling, etc, sassafras, and now that it is in bud, it's too late for a prime do-over. And, it is very tasty, if I say so myself. I look forward to bottling it in the fall.

I used to find sassafras in our woods now and then and dig a few roots for tea. Historically it's acclaimed as good blood thinner in the spring time. (Catagorize that however you wish) In any case last time I ran across some I went looking for more info on using it and ran into a number of reports like this one. Now I hate the idea of a nanny state that watches over us so we don't possibly get too close to maybe hurt ourselves but nonetheless I thought it was interesting that sassafras is now considered a source of carcinogens. More specifically the very part of it that gives the roots it's flavor is the offensive part. Again I'm not condemning but thought it interesting. Here is link to one article that is less than glowing but not supporting it's use now.

https://www.drugs.com/npp/sassafras.html

Here is link to one article that is less than glowing but not supporting it's use now.

https://www.drugs.com/npp/sassafras.html

From that site:
Sassafras root bark has been used as an aromatic and carminative at doses of 10 g

Geez, even I had never heard of a "carminative." Okay, Google: whatzzat mean?

car·min·a·tive
kärˈminədiv,ˈkärməˌnādiv/

adjective:
1. (chiefly of a drug) relieving flatulence.

noun:
1. a drug that relieves flatulence.
:f

Latest posts

Back