Overflow on buckets of juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
Has anybody had any issues of pitching the yeast in the buckets the juice has came in and has it overflowed? I've thought about doing it but the 1" of head space concerns me.

I would not recommend it. I assume you are talking about a 6 gallon juice bucket. If you get a vigorous fermentation, you could overflow easily. I would use a 7.9 gallon fermenter or if you don't have one, remove about a gallon into a stainless steel stock pot as a primary. After fermentation slows, you could then combine them in the 6 gallon bucket.

I use the buckets the juice came in and pitch yeast. last year had no issue. this year it came out of every bucket like a volcano. if youre gonna do the buckets make sure you release the pressure on the lids often. mine exploded somewhere between the 12-24 hour mark after pitching the yeast. also, ive noticed some juice buckets have better fitting lids than others (snap all the way around instead of just the four "sides"). a tighter lid with a properly functioning breather in it might be the best option

you shouldn't be snapping the lid down during an active fermentation, just let it lay on top. If I am fermenting during the cooler season, I will use the buckets the juice comes in, I don't use a brew belt and the cooler temps keeps the ferment slower.

The sight of a volcanic-like eruption coming from a bucket will imprint on your brain, and forever more you will remember to (1) remove 1/2 to 1 gallon of juice before starting, (2) place fermenter on/in a catch-all container, (3) As Julie said, do not seal off a primary fermentation. Oh yeah,, have a designated clean up towel handy..

Latest posts

Back