Over sweetened

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_diver

Reaction score
I bought some black currant and Pinot noir from homewinery.com and made 5 gallons of each. I also bought a pint of each extra to sweeten.

After fermentation was done and I added potassium sorbate, I added the whole pint of extra to sweeten. I have no idea why I didn't add a little at a time and taste - dame bamage I guess.

Anyway, it came out a little too sweet for my taste. So I considered my options:

- make another 5 gallon batch (minus the sweetening part) and blend the two.
- add water to dilute.

Other suggestions?

I vote blend too. Even if its something else. Do you have anything really dry on hand? Doesn't have to be 50/50. You can just keep adding it until you are happy.

I did both. I watered it down first. That was a mistake. So I made some rocket fuel and blended it. Won first place in a wine tasting competition with it.

it's a definite blend! I find their concentrates a little week to start so I wouldn't water

I'm blending my over sweet homewinery cab today! Made a 6 gal batch last March with 3 qts of concentrate, ( ILO 2 qts for5 gals) I back sweetened it with a little blackberry Brandy & simple sugar. All said & done it turned out SG 1.005, too sweet for a cab! OPPS! I have a 3 mo old Cab of there's made to normal specs (SG .992) going to bench test a 50/50 blend & see how it tastes. If still too sweet I'll change the ratio to suit. Know a Lady or 2 that will like the "sweet Cab" Roy

After letting it sit for a week, my wife and I tried it before figuring out how to blend it. Turns out, it is now just fine. Learned a valuable lesson - try it, sweeten a little if necessary, let sit for a week or so, try it again, repeat if necessary.

After letting it sit for a week, my wife and I tried it before figuring out how to blend it. Turns out, it is now just fine. Learned a valuable lesson - try it, sweeten a little if necessary, let sit for a week or so, try it again, repeat if necessary.

age usually cures all ;)

I'm glad you waited XD, I had some Raspberry Merlot that was way too sweet for my liking. Over time it's really come into it's own. It's still sweet but much more complex and has become a nice addition to the cellar.

Latest posts

Back