Oregon Fruit Pures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loumik

Reaction score
I have been thinking about making a Blueberry - Pomegranate wne from either Old Orchard juice or concentrate. The problem I have with this is that when you read the ingredients label there is really not much blueberry or pomegranate juice in either. Mostly it's apple and grape juice.
Midwest Supplies advertise Oregon Fruit Purees in their catalog, one of which is Blueberry puree. I was wondering if anyone has tried this product, and if so how did it work out?
I also wondered if I use the Old Orchard juice could the Blueberry puree be used to back sweeten for flavor?
My only experience with fruit wine is an Applecider wine I made last fall which is presently bulkaging. I'm looking at recipes and reading everthing I can on fruitwines and going slow.
Any input or ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks.
LOUMIK:dg

well im just learning about wine i have been making beer for aseveral years and for a blue berry and palmagranit wine you will have to use real fruit or bag the prosses you can try a mixed juice if you like but i cant promis the results....... i would do a blue berry and i would use 10 welches white grape juice concentrate 11.5 oz (niagra) grape in 5 gal sweeten to desired alch level and use a blue blue berry surop that they use in coffee shops usualy procured at castco or united grocers ........btw use 5 tsp's of potasium sorbate and 5 tsp's potasium medabisulfate to stop fermintation when you reach 0990 then add surop to desired taste and sweeten from there with shugar ....... use 2 tsp of betanite desulved in 2 cups of water for clarifying repeat as needed to clear you should have good results so you might see if they have a palmagranit surop too ......you get the idea

Last edited:
I use the Old Orchard Juices to make wine, either the frozen or Bottle juices, then use additional juice for back sweetening. I think these make a good wine.

Thanks for the info CoachPieps, I think I will a use a combination of puree and Old Orchard. trueax1 thanks for your input, I hope your advice to use 5tsp of sorbate and 5tsp of k-meta in 5gals of wine was a typo. That is way too much of each. K-meta is generally added 1/4 tsp to 5-6 gals of wine. And sorbate at 1/2 tsp per gal. Also sorbate and k-meta will not stop a fermentation. Sorbate is added to prevent fermentation from restarting and k-meta is used to protect wine from wild yeastes, bacteria, mold etc.

My first 'non-kit' wine was from Oregon's pear puree. It turned out pretty well - If I had it to do over again I'd keep the SG lower for something not quite so hot and I'd let it age longer than I did. At the time I hadn't built up a collection yet.

I've been looking at the blueberry or black berry puree to mix with the leftover elderberries I have in the freezer... next batch maybe.

Bottom line - the puree was good enough for me I'm willing to try it again.

i added a can of the blackberry puree to my wild blackberries to make sure i had enough fruit for a 5 gal. batch. i think it added balance and consistency. i will def. use the product again:br

Loumik

Thanks everone. Your advise has helped me figure out what I'm going to do. As always :bron this site I get quick useful advise.

LOUMIK

Latest posts

Back