Orchard Breezin Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwilson18

Junior
Reaction score
I previously made an Orchard Breezin Seville Orange Sangria and it was very popular among friends. However, I found it a little weak and I would prefer a higher ABV. I plan to make another Sangria as well as a Blackberry Merlot and would like some suggestions on what to add to increase body and ABV. Many threads suggest adding raisins and sugar. How much of each should I add and does it matter what type of sugar I use?

I don't think adding raisins to one of these mist wines is a worthwhile idea. Two good ideas are adding sugar and/or part of the Flavouring pack before the yeast. The best idea is to shoot for a specific starting sg. 1.070 would yield about 10%.

How was the sweetness of the kit that you made? Was it OK?

Steve

As Steve says raisins are not the way to improve the Orchard Breezin kits. Adding Sugar will help bring up the starting SG. What I have found with customers that want a higher abv is adding in some grape concentrate of the right color at the start. Red in red and white in white or blush. Concentrate is a little more expensive than sugar but well worth the investment. I find that concentrate brings out the fruit flavors better than sugar. A small addition of glycerin just before bottling will help with the mouth feel you seem to be missing. Keep the glycerin to about 5mil for a whole batch.

Last edited:
Concur with the above posts....one addition.....see if your local wine store has dextrose packs......dextrose tends to give a better fermentation then table sugar....also, dissolve the sugar/dextrose on the stove prior to adding to must...

What I have found with customers that want a higher abv is adding in some grape concentrate of the right color at the start. Red in red and white in white or blush. Concentrate is a little more expensive than sugar but well worth the investment. I find that concentrate brings out the fruit flavors better than sugar.
rjb...you're full of good ideas for me today. Thanks again.

Steve

The sweetness of the Sangria seemed just about right as I didn't hear any complaints, only requests for more. I think I'll keep the sweetness as it is but I'll definitely add some juice concentrate and dextrose. Thanks again for the ideas.

but I'll definitely add some juice concentrate and dextrose. Thanks again for the ideas.
Don't add these blindly. Monitor the sg to be sure of your results.

BTW, RJB was referring to a grape concentrate product available at your LHBS, not concentrated juices from the grocery store.

Steve

cpfan is correct watch your hydrometer I find these kits are out of balance above. 1.080 SG. 1.070 is much more preferable.:b

I'll pick up the concentrate at the same time I buy the kit and I'll add just enough to bring the SG up to about 1.070. Roughly how much concentrate do you think I will need?

I added table sugar to the Breezin Sangria kit to bring it up to 1.08 and it turned out quite tasty, finished at .992 before adding in the full F-pack.

I'd need to check my notes to see how much sugar I added

Back