Other open fermentation in primary.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

How many of you guys do open fermentation in the primary. What I mean is to leave the lid off or cracked to get as much oxygen into the must. I have read 2 things.

1) Its essential to have as much oxygen to must ratio to help metabolize the sugar.

2) It is detrimental to have open fermentation because the oxygen will make the must sour....

Thought?

I do and once it is below 1.010, I snap the lid down and let if ferment to dry before racking to a carboy.

Are there potential issues if you were to leave it ferment to say. 992?

Not with the lid snapped at >1 still producing co2 in the headspace. Until you open it up to test the SG that is [emoji6]

What I do is:

Lid is loosely placed on top (not snapped down).
Stir each day to release CO2

Oxygen is most important the first few days when yeast are multiplying. Less so when yeast are concentrating on converting sugar to alcohol.

I figure if I am opening up the pail each day to stir, it is not that important to have an air tight seal.

I simply cover my fermentation vats with plastic. It stays that way until pressing. I like open ferment...

Below is a fuzzy picture of one of my vats. I simply pull the plastic off to one side in order to punch down (see plastic to the right of the vat).

...I really need a new phone...

IMG_20141001_165003_282.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting! I purchased a few chilean juice buckets and the instructions on the pail said to open the pail and leave the lid of during the fermentation... This contradicts everything in the kits.. just kind of curious if there was a difference...

I left my lid off for the majority... im sure its is going to be ok. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that the instructions for kits are written for people who may have limited to no experience with making. If you're guaranteeing a product within 4-8 weeks, you want people to make it with as little fuss and changes as possible. Ultimately, though, there is more than one way to skin a cat (or make wine or beer).

I am always worried about fruit flies, seeing as only one is enough to spoil a whole batch. I take the lid off to stir/aerate for the first few days but then half snap the lid back on using 2 of the 4 "latches" to try to keep out any creatures. Maybe I am too paranoid but so far I have not made any vinegar.

What I do is:

Lid is loosely placed on top (not snapped down).
Stir each day to release CO2

This is exactly what I do all the way down to dry for most.
I do stir twice daily.

Back