One little fruit fly!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieLynn

Reaction score
I just finished a new batch of kit wine. This one was a step up from the last bargain basement one I tried from Costco, which came out surprisingly well! It was hell trying to keep those fruit flies away during a recent heat wave we had up here in Quebec. However, right before transferring for the 10 day clearing stage, one of those little suckers nose dived right in! I grabbed a spoon and scooped him out, and in a panic sprayed the spot with MetaB! I don't know what I was thinking! :slp Anyway, it seemed ok today so I bottled it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have a lot of red wine vinegar in the end.

I just finished a new batch of kit wine. This one was a step up from the last bargain basement one I tried from Costco, which came out surprisingly well! It was hell trying to keep those fruit flies away during a recent heat wave we had up here in Quebec. However, right before transferring for the 10 day clearing stage, one of those little suckers nose dived right in! I grabbed a spoon and scooped him out, and in a panic sprayed the spot with MetaB! I don't know what I was thinking! :slp Anyway, it seemed ok today so I bottled it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have a lot of red wine vinegar in the end.

I transferred beer into secondary today and found 26 fruit flies in the airlock. None got in the beer but the little suckers were able tovgetvthrough the tiny holes in the air lock. Shocked the heck out of me. Hope none got in the concord wine. Pitched the yeast about 20 minutes ago.

You will probably be fine. One fruit for, not in for a long time. That k meta you sprayed certainly didn't hurt anything.

I transferred beer into secondary today and found 26 fruit flies in the airlock. None got in the beer but the little suckers were able tovgetvthrough the tiny holes in the air lock. Shocked the heck out of me. Hope none got in the concord wine. Pitched the yeast about 20 minutes ago.
If they are found in the airlock they haven't touched the brew. But I've read that even one in wine can ruin a whole batch, and it can happen right away because they release something when they die. Then there are others who say that one wouldn't. I guess when I sprayed the Kmeta I figured I was steralizing the spot...lol. I just wish there was more concrete information out there about fruit flies because they always seem to be around.

I just had some migrate into my wine world yesterday. Handful of them hanging around my primary. One was in my fruit bag and one got into the must. I guess I am assuming all will be well but I may be in for a surprise. I did pull the fruit bag and discard it so am hoping they will find another party to crash. I will be racking into secondary tonight or tomorrow.

I'm not sure, I think maybe it was Joe's wine who posted how they dealt with fruit flies, thank you thank you! They got out the shop vac and set there kicked back with a glass of wine and suck them up into the vac. I made up all those traps with wine and apple cider vinegar, but nothing worked as good as the vacuum. I don't even bother with the traps anymore. Right before I uncover the bucket I suck them all up with the vacuum. Works like a charm.

If it wasn't Joe thank you whoever came up with the idea.

I did see the post about the shop vac, but didn't pull it out for one fly. During fermenting, I had dozens around my bucket, but put a vinegar trap right on top and that worked great. I caught many but the one "escapee", heh heh. So I've heard both sides where tons are in wineries and 1 single one kills a batch. You never know what to believe on the web. I guess I'll find out eventually. So far, so good. Tastes nice for a kit wine right off the bat! (Chateau, private selection Merlot brand)

Simple thing is to just pour a lil red wine into a wide mouth glass and set it by your bucket or carboy that will detour them from your wine gnats go in but they don't come out! Set a glass out at night and by morning you won't see anymore except dead ones! :d

Simple thing is to just pour a lil red wine into a wide mouth glass and set it by your bucket or carboy that will detour them from your wine gnats go in but they don't come out! Set a glass out at night and by morning you won't see anymore except dead ones! :d

Just don't use the Brunello di Montalcino for that! Stick with the Carlo Rossi. :p

Latest posts

Back