Old Orchard Apple Kiwi Strawberry juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
I bought some 1/2 gal bottles of this juice. When I got it home, I noticed it had Acsulfame Potassium added to it. Will this ferment?

Looks like a sweetener with some kind of potassium. go ahead and make the wine. I'm guessing you should leave it alone for 24 hrs so if there is any potassium it will dissipate with the lid just laying on top. Then add your yeast.

Acesulfame potassium is a calorie-free artificial sweetener, also known as Acesulfame K or Ace K (K being the symbol for potassium), and marketed under the trade names Sunett and Sweet One. In the European Union, it is known under the E number (additive code) E950. It was discovered accidentally in 1967 by German chemist Karl Clauss at Hoechst AG (now Nutrinova).[1] In chemical structure, acesulfame potassium is the potassium salt of 6-methyl-1,2,3- oxathiazine-4(3H)-one 2,2-dioxide. It is a white crystalline powder with molecular formula C4H4KNO4S and a molecular weight of 201.24.[2]

I made one batch of mead with it and it worked fine. Everyone loved it and it fermented well. I did use Lalvin 1118 which is pretty aggressive. Will make another batch of the same. Dont worry

a couple months in the carboy. I made five gallons of it. I make mead so used either 4 or 5 quarts of honey in it and 1118 as the yeast. So it turned out fairly strong and fairly sweet. Didnt have any problems with it and it has mellowed out fairly well. Also used the rasberry and it turned out ok.

I started it on Sep 10, added sugar to bring it up to starting SG of 1.086. Checked it on Sep 16, SG was down to 1.013, racked it to the secondary's. Everything is looking good.

I would hazard a guess it turned out so sweet because the sweetener was unfermentable.. a way to fix that if you like wines less sweet would be to dilute it with pure juice at the beginning of fermentation.

Allie

Latest posts

Back