Ohio animal escape

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty far north of me but it sure made the news here.

Jon,

I live in Powell, Ohio which is about 60 miles away. It was not a wildlife refuge, per se. Rather it was a private owner who had all these wild animals. He had had some troubles with the law and the animal cruelty people. It appears that he let them all loose and then "offed" himself. This all happened near Zanesville, Ohio and some people are confusing it with "The Wilds" which is a true wildlife refuge and park near Cumberland, Ohio, not far away.

It was truly tragic that the animals had to be destroyed, but their threat to people and condition (i.e. rabies and other diseases) was not known and the authorities erred on the side of safety. Jack Hanna, nationally known Curator of the Columbus Zoo, was on hand and many people are criticizing the action. He pointed out that the alternatives, trapping and tranquilizing, were much more dangerous to people and would have taken longer. In the meantime, the animals would be roaming and a threat to people, domestic wildlife and pets. He gave an example of a tiger that was hit with a tranquilizing dart and still leapt 18 feet and killed a man.

I only hope that this leads the Ohio legislators to re-look at the very liberal laws we have regarding the keeping of wild animals. :m

Well, we live about 3 hours from there and my husband was all excited about going on a Safari hunt, he figured this will be the only time in his life he could do this but, alas, the authorities had everything under control before he could get there :)

Rocky,

I agree with you, I think every state should look at their laws on exotic animals. Personally, if they were not part of our eco system, then they shouldn't be here.

I totally agree!!

Yeah i caught a bit of it on the news - i thought it was a refuge - but I might have heard them say that in reference to the near by refuge that you mentioned.

It truly is tragic that some animals were put down - those animals are only doing what is instinctive to their nature - can't fault the animal for that. But we can't let them roam around destroying lives either. Lesser of the two evils i suppose.

How was all that ever allowed to happen though?

That was my point, Leanne. We have some of the most liberal laws in Ohio for keeping exotic animals. This needs to change and I think this incident will underscore that need. These poor creatures were kept in undersized cages, malnourished and abused. Personally, I am not even crazy about Zoos but at least the animals are cared for attentively. Even so, I think the animals should live in the wild in their native environment.

From Ohio

I can say this is not the only matter of concern, but these poor creatures are victims of circumstance.
I think we all can agree and some pray that conservation and care of Gods wildlife can be better served in this modern age with modern and monitored practices. Poor beasts could not choose or speak for themselves. This was done with ungracious and wicked intent to the animals and good people's of the the Buckeye state. Please don't think too poorly of the citizens of the nations heartland, they too are appalled by many neglected regulations of bygone eras. I say a lion belongs where ever the Savanna leads them, and short of that we yes we are responsible for their best well-being.
My heart pains for for the people of Ohio and this is not indicative of a caring and compassionate state.
God bless Ohio
Let's get get back to common sense core values for all states of this great nation. We all love and respect the majesty of nature, I hope we will stand for reasonable change in expectations for those charged with safe and healthy wildlife management.

Latest posts

Back