Off my rocker?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USDragoon

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Randy, and I live in Colorado, about 50 miles west of Pueblo in the Wet Mountains at about 9000' elevation.

We own 40 acres and trying to develop a diverified farm. I recently had the urge (due to a friend/ home bewer) to attempt to start a "micro" vineyard this coming spring.

We've lived here for about 5 years now having moved from Peachtree City, Georgia.

We are greenhorns at farming, but have learned a lot the hard way although we try to learn as much as we can before hand. Our climate is tough, with our growing season short and winters long. Last February the lowest it got was -35F with wind chills making it to -80F. The winds can be hurricane strength, which makes things interesting to say the least.

The county we live in used be a huge food producer for what was then a territory, and they even considered placing the state capital here once upon a time, since this was a huge silver minning area back in the day. In fact, we live next to what was the largest silver mine in the state called "The Bassick mine".
Our property used to be 4 seperate mining claims of 10 acres each until we bought them and vacated the lines into one parcel and aquired our agricultural statues.
Water is huge issue for Colorado, as the state is required by law to export its water to nieghboring states, and even to Mexico. By law, I'm only allowed to water 1 acre of lawn or garden, and may water as much livestock as I want, which makes things interesting in trying to become diversified as a farm.

I came up with an idea though- instead of blanket watering an acre square, I want to incorperate a drip irrigation system to water specific plants, or plant areas, to be able to maximize my overall vegetative food production. As an acre is around 43,000 square feet, I think I can potentially water a lot of individual plants/ plant groups this way.

Any how, I look forward to learning a lot from you seasoned growers in the coming months as I plan out this possibly insane venture :db

Thanks!
Randy

Welcome to Winemakingtalk Randy!
20110803_181507_kgo_057.gif

As you are probably aware of, CO has a pretty fair amount of small vineyards that are starting to produce a good amount of fruit and wine these days. That said I doubt that any of them are at 9000 ft! I am located at the Southern tip of the Rockies at 6500 ft. I planted 30 vines last summer of cold hardy hybrids that survived last winter's crazy cold low temps and have bounced back nicely and grown like weeds this year. I have a few clusters that I let form and they appear to be ready to pick right now. I just don't think your going to have a long enough growing season at 9000 ft to fully ripen grapes unless you went with the absolute lowest GDD (growing degree day) varietals. Start by figuring out what your GDD are for your area and then try and match that to some varietals. You may find some whites that could possibly work.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything!

Welcome USDragoon. Sounds like you are trying to start out huge. Make sure you know what your getting into before getting into it!

Thanks for the welcome!

I can see where you thought I was going "huge", because I was suggesting watering 43,000 plants useing drip irrigation without having the first real clue/ experience in grape growing. :d

With grapes I really only want to start small for personal consumption to begin with. I assure you, I'm not trying to defy logic here...lol

As for the grape I've been looking at; the marquette vine "seems" to be the most promissing.

My wife and I both like and prefer reds over white wine by far.

To deal with the winds, I'm meeting with a USDA conservation guy soon, (who happens to be our vets husband) to discuss and go over plans for creating wind breaks as well as pasture management and bee keeping.

As for a wind break, I'm considering planting three rows of trees facing west (where my severe wind comes from). The first tree row I'm looking at is the hybrid popular tree (zone 3), with probably spruce and austrian pine for the second and third rows. I really have to stay with drought tolerant trees, otherwise I would be planting my favorites- Hemlock & Douglas firs. (born & raised in western Washington)

As for the future vineyard, I'm thinking perhaps a dozen vines to start. I was also thinking of trying a few valiant vines for juice only. (thinking of my amish/ menonite nieghbors 8)

Any suggestions on how many vines would be reasonable to experiment with or other varities than the marquette?

Thanks,

Randy

I am currently growing Marquette, Coret Noir, and Noirete. These seem to be very highly rated and promising for a red wine cold hardy hybrid varietal.

I was just saying that vineyard work is a dream for most of us but dont be fooled as its a full time job to do it right. Its no the sit back and watch it come alive all by itself garden.

Latest posts

Back